General

Would you date someone with HIV?

Created by:

16 Sep 2016 - General

Last weekend, I went for a mini vacation with some of my single friends. In one of our conversations, my psychiatrist friend asked if I am willing to date someone with a chronic medical illness. In the ideal world, the answer would have been an outright "yes". However, since I am a healthcare provider, I don't have a lot of time on my hands, I need to qualify and define which chronic medical illness it is. Then my friend said, schizophrenia? In this regard, I said I probably will decline. Even if symptoms can be controlled by medications, I am not ready to handle someone who loses himself from time to time. How about HIV? I thought about this for awhile and I thought I can handle being with someone with HIV rather than schizophrenia. How about you? What are your thoughts? 

Woah, what a difficult question. (Though I am married too and gladly spared from such a choice :D ) Though hypothetically, I would also say no. Dating has to lead somewhere at some point, and going into an intimate relationship would be quite challenging. Like the other comment, it’s not a discrimination, but simply thinking about my own health, not just physically but also the emotional worry that comes with that. As for schizophrenia, hmm, that’s a No, too. I have an aunt with this condition s...
 (Total 120 words)
Marinelle Castro Thank you for tagging me in the topic. Like Kathleen Peralta , I am spared from choosing because I am married too. haha Hypothetically speaking, I am not going to be a hypocrite and my answer is no. It would be hard to date someone with HIV when one is working in the healthcare sector. It does not help that you ar...
 (Total 115 words)
Jennifer Winter "I don't want to sleep with one eye open." - haha that made me laugh a bit. But seriously, the reason why I'm hypothetically choosing someone with HIV infection rather to be with a schizophrenic is because of my lifestyle. Even if I finish residency, I'm pretty sure that my lifestyle will not change. As a consultant, the responsibilities increase and if I practice in Manila,...
 (Total 152 words)
Marinelle Castro Well if I was in a one year relationship with this person the question would be "where did he get the HIV?" and if he knew before we got together why did he not tell me? Though I get what you are driving at there. It is like the question "would you marry a dying man/woman?" but to a lesser degree as people can now live with HIV. I know the stigma of HIV is something we can'...
 (Total 139 words)
That is a hell of a question! Must think twice before dating. Using a condom will not save you from HIV AIDS as the virus can spread through a mucus membrane anywhere in the human body. As you know almost all ones practice fore play before the sexual intercourse ant it includes oral sex too. If there is a break through in the oral mucus membrane of the woman and if she is HIV positive, there is a risk to transfer the virus to the man. If the man is HIV positive and if the woman swallows the ejac...
 (Total 129 words)
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the matter. I noticed that almost all of you guys gave a No answer and I think that is pretty understandable. I'm just wondering what if you are already in a relationship with someone and you discovered that this person has HIV or schizoprenia after one year of being together. Is this a deal breaker for you as well? I understand that almost everyone are considering their personal health and future. My stand is still I'd rather be with someone with H...
 (Total 239 words)
I completely agree with Maria Cristina Inserto. I will definitely be friends with someone with HIV. No discrimination there, but I wouldn't date someone with HIV. I look at the idea of dating as having a long term possibility. Yes HIV can be controlled and this person may live with me happily for the rest of our lives but I like to think about having kids. My aim would to think of the welfare of the children a...
 (Total 109 words)
Be a friend to a person with HIV, I will completely say "Yes" to, but I don't think I will date someone with HIV. I will be realistic here. Dating has an end-point. You date to connect, and hopefully, this connection leads to a full-blown relationship. If things go well, it turns sexual, and the rest is history. I know you can use protection to avoid the disease. There's this movie with Marie Louise Parker, "Boys on the Side". She had HIV in that movie and she was qui...
 (Total 150 words)
Such a nice question. It really made me think for a while. But, my answer with your question Dc. Marinelle Castro is yes and no for HIV case just like Kathleen Peralta and You Ying Hong. Yes, when it is just dating like knowing each other a little bit more, eating, having acup of coffee, etc. And no when lets say to have a deeper and intimate relationship like to advance relationship on the next level. Though HIV can be controlled but there is still no cure for HIV, and it can take a huge financ...
 (Total 130 words)
It is quite a dilemma in answering this interesting question. Until now, the society is still having some stigmata for people suffering from HIV. This perception should be changed. We should not treat people infected with HIV differently from the rest of the public. There should be no any discrimination against them. They should be given equal opportunity and chance in society. HIV infection is more like a chronic medical condition nowadays, as there is the availability of anti-viral medications...
 (Total 110 words)