General

Acupuncture And Electricity Can Relieve Chronic Constipation

Created by:

16 Sep 2016 - General

Chronic constipation is a very common complaint we may meet every day, more commonly among the elderly. the condition can make you feel — headachy, bloated, and all-around unhappy; That’s why there are various types of drugs that aim to alleviate some of these effects.

According to research published onlineSeptember 12 in the Annals of Internal Medicine, Electroacupuncture (EA) may offer patients with chronic severe functional constipation (CSFC) a safe and effective alternative to traditional therapies.

"This multicenter trial with 1075 participants showed that EA alleviated symptoms and quality of life in patients with CSFC during the 8-week treatment; these effects persisted throughout the 12-week follow-up," Zhishun Liu, MD, PhD, from the China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, Beijing, and colleagues write.

The most commonly reported acupuncture-related adverse events were hematoma at the site of needling, sleeplessness, and sharp pain. However, these were infrequent in both groups, and all were mild or transient. "These results are similar to those reported in a previous acupuncture study," the authors note. "Our study provided additional reassurance of the safety of acupuncture in the treatment of CSFC."

The authors concluded: "This multicenter trial with 1075 participants showed that EA alleviated symptoms and quality of life in patients with CSFC during the 8-week treatment; these effects persisted throughout the 12-week follow-up." They predicted that EA would be a useful mode of treatment for chronic constipation, postulating that the electrical stimulation at acupuncture points improved bowel motility by stimulating the parasympathetic nervous system. Maybe, but they could have shown much more.

To read more:

http://acsh.org/news/2016/09/13/acupuncture-and-electricity-chronic-constipation-there-are-buts-10149

I know that acupuncture has been around for ages and has helped many in treatment. But how about those who have suffered worst after acupuncture? Have you thought of that? This is a true story. I have a friend who is bed ridden now. He was previously a normal healthy person who has a bit of limping while walking due to a past injury. He was approached by a fellow shop owner who does acupuncture and my friend was educated by him about acupuncture and the benefits of it and how he could walk as pe...
 (Total 184 words)
I have always been highly skeptic of acupuncture and acupressure. Its basically based on the principle that the body has acupressure points which when stimulated restores the balance of yin and yang. The act of stimulating these pressure points removes the blocks within the system and helps restore the circulation of energy. I'm skeptic of these because the principle is imaginary and there's no way to measure it. I'm not saying that this form of treatment has no merit. In fact there ...
 (Total 125 words)
Constipation is fairly a common problem among children as well as adults. Poor dietary habits and lack of proper toilet training leads to suffer them with on and off abdominal pain and passing hard stool causing anal fissures. Most mothers used to treat with home remedies which gives a temporary relief which leads to worsen the condition.
Even though the acupuncture for children is becoming an increasingly common treatment for headaches, stomachaches, back pain, and depression, it is questi...
 (Total 108 words)
I am greatly interested in this mode of treatment. Acupuncture has originated from the ancient china and has been there for centuries. It wouldn't have lasted as long as it did if this therapy did not have many benefits. However, in today's society it is fairly difficult to find authentic acupuncturist therapists. There are so many places where they offer acupuncture therapy, but it is well known that not all these therapists are well trained and competent in what they do. If it can be p...
 (Total 103 words)