General
The 'five-second rule' for food:  Myth or fact?

The 'five-second rule' for food: Myth or fact?

Shared by:

According to the "five-second rule”, it is still acceptable to eat food that has been dropped because bacteria needs time to transfer. Turns out, we could not have been more wrong.

today.mims.com

18 Sep 2016 - General

Hahaha. I never believed the 5-second rule, but if on the table, I really don't mind Jennifer Winter. Unfortunately, I used to eat snacks from the floor, Hahaha! But yeah, the funniest thing about the 5-second rule is when they said you do not have to worry about the bacteria because they probably ran away (possibly screaming, yeah, haha). But yes, the funniest thing about this article is I thought it was a F...
 (Total 125 words)
Marinelle Castro Jennifer Winter Yes I've heard about that, the bacteria screams and still shocked after the food has being dropped! That's why they haven't able to hit the area. haha. Funny really. This topic has extracted too much ideas from the community. And not suprising, almost all but not all of us get to be gui...
 (Total 120 words)
For those of you who are interested, Mythbusters actually had an episode about this, see here for the video: http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/five-second-rule-minimyth/

Daniel Wee is not wrong, a lot depends on the surface and the environment. After all, no matter how strongly you believe in this myth, you wouldn't pick up a piece of bread that has fallen into a toilet bowl or a pu...
 (Total 97 words)
“The five-second rule” is very common among people when they drop a biscuit, bread or candy on the table or floor and pick it up within 5 seconds to eat immediately. It is believed that the food is not infected and it is safe to eat if picked up quickly (within the five-second window). But according to researchers, five-second rule is only limited to few food items mostly dry food and surfaces such as tables and floors of our houses that are cleaned on daily basis. Bacteria requires moisture to ...
 (Total 116 words)
This is funny. I was just thinking about this yesterday as I was having lunch out. I thought the 5 second rule was some Filipino myth, apparently not. The running joke though with the 5 second rule is that when the food drops on the floor the bacteria would scream and run away to avoid getting hit haha :) Have you heard of that one Marinelle Castro, ...
 (Total 137 words)
Almost everyone has dropped some food on the floor and still wanted to eat it. And if someone saw you drop it, he or she might have yelled, "may 5-second kapa" or "you still have 5 second" This so-called rule says food is OK to eat if you pick it up in 5 seconds or less. Exactly the same what i experienced during my childhood days. Just like Dc. Marinelle Castro and Priscilla Mae Gobuyan i thought the same way too and was a bit surprised to know that other countries believe i...
 (Total 145 words)
Like Priscilla Mae Gobuyan I also thought that this is a local myth! I didn't know that even Westerners believed in this until I saw this in a news clip from elsewhere. Actually as far as I remember, the local expression when food accidentally falls is "ok lang yan,wala pang 5 minutes" (its okay, its not yet over 5 minutes). So it was really supposed to be 5 seconds? I wonder who lengthened the tim...
 (Total 139 words)
Now this is quite funny because all the while I thought this kind of belief is only here in the Philippines. To my great surprise this have been to be a belief for anyone else. Admit it or not, most of us used to believe this and still believing I guess. Well that is right. The moister the surface, the more bacteria will thrive in the space. Maybe that's why during operations, it's necessary to keep the table from being moist. This five second rule for food is widely used by most of our ...
 (Total 185 words)