General
Prison doctors: A rare breed of medical professionals

Prison doctors: A rare breed of medical professionals

Shared by:

What is it about being a physician in a detention facility that makes them love the work they do in spite being in an environment many would avoid due to several risks? MIMS speaks to prison doctors in the Philippines and learns the true nobility of the profession.

today.mims.com

18 Sep 2016 - General

One time a patient came into the clinic (he was a regular of the hotel, where my clinic is in) and was endorsed to me. Anyway, he was a little strange, slurred speech and limping. Later on, he revealed that he just suffered a stroke a few months ago. And his next revelation was that he just got out of prison. My heart skipped. I was suddenly scared and he admitted using drugs before, he was very chatty, but anyway he needed care but he was "afraid of dentists" so nothing happened and w...
 (Total 279 words)
I know a doctor who works in the Bilibid Prison in Muntinlupa. She is a very nice lady who enjoys her work and has been there for decades. I was asked to post a job opening to my batch mates a few years back and a few responded to this. I am not sure if anyone went for an interview though. The starting paying isn't all too great but it comes with meals and quarters. The up side for working in a prison is that it is a government job and although the pay isn't too great it is steady income...
 (Total 109 words)
I personally know one of the interviewed doctors in the article. I found out about his career move through Facebook and I was very surprised. I didn't know that prisons here in Manila have an in-house physician. I never got the chance to talk to him again, but I think he's happy and fulfilled with what he's doing. Like what the article mentioned, prisoners deserve a second chance. I'm not sure if others are aware but correctional facilities in Manila are densely overcrowded and I...
 (Total 168 words)