General
Doctors:  Are you fat-phobic?

Doctors: Are you fat-phobic?

Shared by:

Weight biases, or in other words, having certain prejudices about people based on their weight, is very common amongst the public. However, are healthcare professionals an exception when it comes to these biases?

today.mims.com

18 Sep 2016 - General

I dont think it is that doctors are fat-phobic, but just like when the first thing I see on people are their teeth, many doctors see a person's weight. Ever since I became a dentist, I see even the smallest dental problem that is visible in the the smile or while a person is talking. I'm telling you, it's like there's a spotlight on the teeth, every time, and I cannot help it. Now, since there are many diseases related to being overweight, I think it's only normal for doctors...
 (Total 160 words)
Tahira Nawaz I agree that irregular eating habits and individual metabolism contributes a lot to a person’s weight. I also think that there is a strong genetic link to obesity. However, I think that if one is aware that he is predisposed to this condition, all the more that he must take necessary lifestyle modifications to achieve an optimal weight. ...
 (Total 121 words)
I perfectly understand how an overweight or obese patient would feel vulnerable and have deep seated anxiety and depression because of this. Definitely being obese would be connected with other diseases which is why this needs to further explored and treated as needed. The best way to deal with this is to work on our bedside manners by working on our approach. These individuals are already very sensitive and how we dress up our approach would help a lot. As ...
 (Total 184 words)
Speaking honestly yes I am fat phobic to some extent. I think every individual has different tendency to gain weight and it might depend on the individual metabolism. I have seen my colleagues who have very irregular eating habits but they are really very smart while on the other hand, fat phobic individuals have complete control on a diet but still they are not losing extra fat. It also depends on the lifestyle of each individual but it is the truth that controlling your diet can help you to ma...
 (Total 111 words)
First off, I am not fat-phobic. However, I don't think this is an appropriate term for doctors who tell their patients that they have to lose weight. There are so many diseases that are associated with obesity and of course medical professionals are well aware of it. I hope patients won't take it against us doctors when we say that they should do something about their weight, even if it has nothing to do with their chief complaint. As medical professionals, we have the responsibility to ...
 (Total 128 words)