General
Irregular heartbeat has wide ramifications for heart and kidney  disease

Irregular heartbeat has wide ramifications for heart and kidney disease

Shared by:

A large study has shown that atrial fibrillation is associated with a wide range of serious health issues, including heart attacks, heart failure, chronic kidney disease, and sudden cardiac death.

today.mims.com

18 Sep 2016 - General

The video included in the article was very informative and easy to understand. Even a non healthcare professional would understand what Atrial Fibrillation is. Atrial fibrillation is a term I encounter a lot of times in my nursing profession but has never been so curious about this. As I am currently part of a team who manages patients with Chronic Kidney Disease, I have noticed that a number of our patients have AF, looking at their medical history . Because of the additional knowledge that thi...
 (Total 111 words)
I think this is an important topic to discuss. While the prevalence of atrial fibrillation is lower in Asians compared to Westerners (1% vs 2%), the over-all disease burden is higher owing to the larger population of the elderly in Asian countries. I’ve seen a lot of patients with atrial fibrillation and usually they present to me due to secondary effects. Atrial fibrillation remains to be the leading cause of embolic stroke. Despite the maintenance of an INR of 2-3 among patients with AF, some ...
 (Total 129 words)