General

Parents who Smoke with an Asthmatic Child: Is it Neglect?

Created by:

18 Sep 2016 - General

This is a hypothetical case about a mother rushing her coughing child into the emergency room. The triage nurse directed them to a nearby bed. As you approached the child and the mother, the first thing you observed is the stench of cigarettes on both of them. On history taking, the mother admits that she is a chronic smoker with several failed attempts. Although she denies that her smoking is exacerbating the asthmatic symptoms of her child because she makes sure that her house is well ventilated and all windows ar open. Would you consider this as child neglect? As a healthcare provider, what are you going to do about the situation? Is there any protocol in your hospital about child neglect?

We all know how bad second hand smoke is. A grown individual almost does not have any choice against it, but he can stand up, move away and leave the area. You can avoid smoke if you do not want to inhale it. A child cant. A child with a mother who smokes is very unfortunate. It's hard to judge the mother because we do not know what really goes on in the house, but she should know better. I will say this is child neglect because her smoking can very well be exacerbating her child's asthm...
 (Total 140 words)
Thanks for sharing your insight on this topic Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan Tarah Cadiz Jennifer Winter Kathleen Peralta ...
 (Total 190 words)
I think that being a parent means that you should be sensitive enough to the needs of your children. In this case, if the mother cannot stop her smoking habit, she should be considerate and responsible enough not to smoke indoors. Though its possible that she may be unaware of the effects of cigarette smoke to her child’s condition, I think she should have started to realize this every time she would seek medical attention for her child. She should be informed about how cigarette smoke can cause...
 (Total 128 words)
Yes this would be neglect. The term child neglect is so harsh but it is the truth. She may be a good mother in general but smoking around an asthmatic child is not acceptable. There is a good possibility that this mother is just not well informed as Kathleen Peralta has mentioned. If the mother is properly educated on the effects of smoking on her child she will find that strength to stop smoking...unless she is ...
 (Total 81 words)
I wouldn't say it is neglect yet as the mother may not be well informed as to the ill effects of her smoking. If she was equipped with all the information she needs to know, like the one that Tahira has mentioned in the first comment, then I will have to believe that she might change her ways. If she has already been informed and still ignore the fact that her smoking exacerbates her child's condition, that's when I say she is not caring enough for the child and neglecting the child&...
 (Total 143 words)
Yes, it is child neglect and I strongly discourage the smoking of mother having an asthmatic child because it is the matter of health and life of her child. She herself is putting his child in more pain because passive smoking is equally dangerous to a child having asthma. Being a healthcare professional I know that smoking can increase mucus production in lungs so mucus might build up in the airway resulting in an asthmatic attack. Tobacco smoke can damage tiny hair-like structures cilia that a...
 (Total 116 words)