General
Salt trap: How medicine causes more harm than good

Salt trap: How medicine causes more harm than good

Shared by:

Healthcare professionals have been advising the public to avoid a dietary lifestyle that is rich in salt, sugar and saturated fats. This is especially true for patients who suffer from different cardiovascular diseases, or at risks of developing one. A diet high in salt, in particular, has been shown repeatedly in scientific studies as one of the risk factors.

today.mims.com

19 Sep 2016 - General

I will also like to mention here that my submission is if one has to choose between low salt problem and high salt problem better choose high salt problem. Reason is that low salt problem can cause the irreparable damage to the brain cells where the high salt problem that affects the heart is easier to manage than brain damage. This problem becomes more prominent in patient management. An healthy body with damaged brain is far more difficult to manage than otherwise. Save your old age people, y...
 (Total 138 words)
Nice to read the salt intake hazards. Its v interesting to note that medical community the world over is harping on low salt intake without providing adequate support to measure it. I have worked out an affordable and innovative solution applied for patent to measure the (NaCl) dietary salt intake and to manage it better without pains of Taste compromise. I hope the medical fraternity, very conservative though in its approach towards new products will appreciate it when introduced with open min...
 (Total 98 words)
Healthcare professionals are advising the public to avoid food containing a high content of salt, sugar, and saturated fat because it is a risk factor for multiple diseases especially CVS. Researchers have also shown that chronic intake of effervescent, dispersible and soluble medicines contain very high amount of sodium that can disturb bodily sodium balance which must be maintained. Therefore sodium containing medications must be used with caution to avoid hypertension and other CVS diseases. ...
 (Total 100 words)
Actually there are a lot of medications that are formulated as salts for bioavailability purposes. In my local practice, the most common drug that I use that's formulated with sodium is ceftriaxone. Sodium balance is important for neurosurgery patients because sodium derangements can lead to cerebral swelling and neuronal dysfunction. So in my setting, it is common place to compute for sodium correction in cases of hyponatremia and in computing I include the sodium content of medications. Ho...
 (Total 156 words)