General
Surgeon given two weeks to pay  S$538,000 to SMC for legal costs

Surgeon given two weeks to pay S$538,000 to SMC for legal costs

Shared by:

Dr. Pang Ah San, a general surgeon, owes the Singapore Medical Council more than S$500,000 in legal costs for two disciplinary hearings in 2012 and 2014.

today.mims.com

19 Sep 2016 - General

Alex Ngai Marinelle Castro Maria Cristina Inserto: yes unfortunately his actions come with dire consequences and we should really be glad that the Singapore Medical Council is firm about this. Situations like these really shouldn't have grey are...
 (Total 83 words)
Yes this story has two sides. One that feels bad for Dr Pang because it is clear that his intentions of helping and making a breakthrough with his patients is fueled a deep passion to serve. He wanted to make a difference, but sadly he did it illegally and that it was found out may be unfortunate because it took lives of people, it is good that it has been found out, so as not to cause further harm. The SMC did a good job with not tolerating such behavior. It is important that the council can be...
 (Total 131 words)
I see good news and bad news in this article. For the bad news, it is unfortunate that an esteemed doctor, who is most probably is at the peak of his career, has to undergo this form of litigation. His intentions could have been good, so in a way I sympathize with his current plight as a fellow medical practitioner. On the other hand, this is good news for the medical community in Singapore because this news is telling that the community is not tolerant of unorthodox practice, that could lead to...
 (Total 130 words)
I don't know Dr Pang personally, nor do I wish ill of him, but it does seem to me that his actions reflect a sentiment that he is able to do as he wants without following the rules. I understand that many doctors may feel like the bureaucracy and red tape of healthcare can sometimes be to the detriment of the patient, but protocols in following common practice are in place for a reason. The fact that the equipment used by the doctor is said to be patented under his name does not help his cau...
 (Total 145 words)
An Chau I think despite showing positive results they will still demand these fines as he breached protocol. At least I strongly believe it should be done. If one person decides to bypass this then others will follow. It is shameful considering his age and his experience but I guess that adds onto his stubbornness. Again I appreciate his obvious dedication and will to make a difference but we have rules for a rea...
 (Total 84 words)
What a shame that it had to come down to this despite his good intentions to better medical outcomes. At his age and with his experience, he should know better the strict procedures surrounding clinical trials, not to mention the legal ramifications when breached. It is odd that he continued to trial them on elderly patients after the first breach. Were these breaches in procedure only alerted due to fatality? If all procedures were successful, I wonder if such fines would still be in place over...
 (Total 89 words)
It is very unfortunate that Dr. Pang Ah San chose not to follow the standard procedure for using experimental methods which has caused the said dire consequences in the article. His experimental tube in place of the standard PEG could've been promising if only he didn't bypass the proper route. The fact that he invented a tube shows that he has intentions to improve medical interventions but it isn't an excuse to do it in this manner. I just need to add as well that a PEG is not a Pe...
 (Total 102 words)