General
Surgeon given two weeks to pay  S$538,000 to SMC for legal costs

Surgeon given two weeks to pay S$538,000 to SMC for legal costs

Shared by:

Dr. Pang Ah San, a general surgeon, owes the Singapore Medical Council more than S$500,000 in legal costs for two disciplinary hearings in 2012 and 2014.

today.mims.com

19 Sep 2016 - General

Yes this story has two sides. One that feels bad for Dr Pang because it is clear that his intentions of helping and making a breakthrough with his patients is fueled a deep passion to serve. He wanted to make a difference, but sadly he did it illegal...
 (Total 131 words)
I see good news and bad news in this article. For the bad news, it is unfortunate that an esteemed doctor, who is most probably is at the peak of his career, has to undergo this form of litigation. His intentions could have been good, so in a way I s...
 (Total 130 words)
I don't know Dr Pang personally, nor do I wish ill of him, but it does seem to me that his actions reflect a sentiment that he is able to do as he wants without following the rules. I understand that many doctors may feel like the bureaucracy and...
 (Total 145 words)
An Chau I think despite showing positive results they will still demand these fines as he breached protocol. At least I strongly believe it should be done. If one person decides to bypass t...
 (Total 84 words)
What a shame that it had to come down to this despite his good intentions to better medical outcomes. At his age and with his experience, he should know better the strict procedures surrounding clinical trials, not to mention the legal ramifications ...
 (Total 89 words)
It is very unfortunate that Dr. Pang Ah San chose not to follow the standard procedure for using experimental methods which has caused the said dire consequences in the article. His experimental tube in place of the standard PEG could've been pro...
 (Total 102 words)