General
Amid Zika Virus Fears, What's The Best Way To Keep Mosquitoes Away?

Amid Zika Virus Fears, What's The Best Way To Keep Mosquitoes Away?

Shared by:

As Zika virus fears run rampant, Inside Edition tested out the best way to avoid bites.

ietv.co

19 Sep 2016 - General

I have read a few journals that talk about the dangers of DEET. Some suggested that DEET readily crosses the placenta and on average has 20% dermal absorption even with minimal use. In this climate of fear with Zika, most concerned individuals are going to be using much more than necessary and DEET has been shown to have synergistic toxicity with insecticides, leading to faster cumulative toxicity (in practical terms when DEET-based repellents meet fogging measures that are now widespread). Even...
 (Total 113 words)
This is a great experimental video. Like Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan I can’t help but squirm while watching it. Anyway in the Philippines we are somehow lucky because citronella plant is commonly grown here and I think its even more effective than candles. Its good to know that DEET has a good safety profile according to the Environmental Protection Agency, but if more natural sources can be used, the better. Ot...
 (Total 107 words)
Ooohhh, what a test! Watching the video and seeing the mosquitoes suck away at the subjects’ arms made my skin crawl. Anyway, yes, the video very clearly shows which products are the more effective ones. GOod to know that eucalyptus and lemon worked well (as I am more inclined to use natural products). I was wondering about citronella oil, as there are many formulations containing this as the active ingredient intended to be applied to the skin, but there was no preparation tested in the video t...
 (Total 164 words)
With Zika, Dengue and all other mosquito related diseases, I can't help but worry especially when travelling. As for the mosquito repellants mentioned in the article, I have used citronella lotion which I think is effective as well as this was the one my little one has used when we were in Philippines. As mentioned in the article, a lot of citronella candles may be needed in order to protect the area that you want, so I thought, a better alternative would be the citronella lotion. Aside from...
 (Total 136 words)
Mosquito bites causing malaria, dengue and chikungunya fever are a menace in India. The major reason of increased mosquito breeding areas is because of open garbage, inadequate water drainage and failure to frequently change water in uncovereed stored containers. While there is a definite point in using mosquito repellants, in India, more emphasis is laid down on eradication of these mosquito-breeding places. The public at large is being educated about the necessity to avoid uncleanliness of sur...
 (Total 135 words)
An interesting test to help consumers know what products are effective on the market and what are just gimmicks. This video would support my previous article that repellents containing DEET or lemon eucalytpus oil are proven effective. Other chemicals tested in this video included citronella and geraniol containing products e.g. citronella candles and sprays, and geraniol sprays and bracelets. They even tested an app claiming to repel mosquitoes by emitting a noise which was proven ineffective i...
 (Total 88 words)