General
How do patients impact the emotional state of doctors?

How do patients impact the emotional state of doctors?

Shared by:

Doctors attend to patients with various kinds of sicknesses and states of health, and some end up dying in the process of medical consultation. How does this affect the emotional well being of the doctors?

today.mims.com

19 Sep 2016 - General

It is always difficult to deal with such situations but we have learned to deal with it as we have to. We see more tragedy in a year then a non-medical person would see in their life time. I agree with Marinelle Castro about focusing on the happy parts but there are times when too much sadness piles up and you just need to get away. We need to give ourself some time to rest watch a movie with friends, have dinner...
 (Total 159 words)
Rajinda Asalage Alex Ngai It is really difficult to be emotionally invested especially in a terminally ill patient. I've always had the interest for Hematology and Oncology (perhaps due to my medical technology background), but I think these specialities are too emotionally taxing that's why I did not nurture my interest ...
 (Total 128 words)
The biggest irony facing doctors (and healthcare professionals in general) is that they have to face much of what is commonly considered human tragedy when it comes to illness and death, and yet they are expected to keep a scientific and 'clinical' outlook on things (pardon the pun). People expect doctors to be empathetic and relate to patients and their families, and yet it can be very difficult for doctors to be emotionally invested in their patients when they have to face so many diff...
 (Total 90 words)
I have a bunch of experiences regarding this issue during my internship period. I had so high work load to do in my ward. I had to cover the clinics. I had to go to the theater with my senior doctors. I had to do casualty on calls. I had to go with the patients for transfers. I had to go everywhere in the hospital for communication deeds. Had lots of work to do. Along with those stress patients also made extra problems and took our time for less important facts. So actually the patients and the ...
 (Total 110 words)
I think this article does not only apply to doctors but it also applies to all healthcare providers. As a doctor, I will not deny the fact that sometimes I feel heavy when I see tragic situations happening right in front of my eyes. I've been a frontliner for so years and it has been my job to declare brain death so I've been exposed to all sorts of real life stories. Patients who died too soon. A newlywed diagnosed with glioblastoma. A young guitarist that lost the function of his domin...
 (Total 169 words)