General
8 reasons why men make the most stubborn patients

8 reasons why men make the most stubborn patients

Shared by:

Some men are way too stubborn to admit that there is something wrong with them. This often leads them going to the doctor much later only to find out that their condition could have been fixed much earlier.

today.mims.com

20 Sep 2016 - General

It is not really about gender. In my opinion, it is highly relevant to multiple factors, most importantly cultural and educational backgrounds. The more they are educated and pressure free, the better they take care of their health. It applies to both men and women. I have seen many men rich and poor who share the eager to know about their health status. They trust their doctors and follow their advice rather than giving ear to other patients’ experience as some might do. When somebody feels tha...
 (Total 148 words)
This is all check for my dad. The main reason why we properly addressed his sickness at the very last minute, is because he refuses to admit he's sick, he needs help and he needs to see the doctor. He claims to have his meds, so he's fine and the knows what he's feeling, but he doesn't see a doctor for regular checks. One time my dad wasn't feeling well and he was fighting with everyone because we were all begging him to go to the hospital. My mom even called our uncle so th...
 (Total 135 words)
Oh yes. We feel like we are giving up machismo when acknowledging weakness. For men, being sick is a blatant showing of weakness. It is true too that men are more forgetful with taking medicines. I encounter this when seeing male patients who are accompanied by their wives approximately 80% of the time. They would usually point to their wives when it is time for prescribing medicines because they claim not to remember popping the pill on time. I feel though that men should exert more effort with...
 (Total 151 words)
It is perfectly alright that men make the most stubborn patients because they are not flexible at all. Men think that they are strong and brave so they can handle everything alone and combat the diseases without doctor or medication aid. It is really difficult to handle such men because they even don’t remember about their medications. Men think they know better than the doctors therefore when they feel little better they quit medications without consulting doctors. My uncle is exactly like thes...
 (Total 115 words)
I remembered my father as I read this. Sometimes I really get frustrated treating him for hypertension because he stops his medications as soon as he becomes asymptomatic. I'm not sure if this is because of their "machismo" attitude that they're good and they don't think they need help. Although from experience, not all patients are like this. I've seen those men who have experienced exacerbation of symptoms from failing to comply with medications, and after that incide...
 (Total 110 words)
I guess this is true. Since in our family I am surrounded with musculine people I can actually say that this topic is really true. Especially my brothers!!!! Very very stubborn in case when they are sick. I find it really hard to convice them to have a check up or atleast have or undergo a laboratory test. As long as they feel that they can get through with the day without consulting or setting a check up with doctors, they will continuosly proceed with their daily routines. There was this time ...
 (Total 169 words)
Well that sounds pretty accurate. I think for males the most stubborn is the elderly male. They have the most difficulty to admit to their weakness and loss of masculinity. We just need different approaches to such patients. I feel that we need to empower these patients. Usually when faced with a male patient I am careful not to rob them of their manliness or to make them feel like they are weak. I try to make them feel that they are in control, boost their being a man and that they just need a ...
 (Total 106 words)
I will be the first to admit that I tick many of the boxes listed here in the article. In my experience, even when men admit to being sick, they tend to self-medicate more. The common joke about how men have difficulty asking directions also seems to relate in this case, men may often choose to "power through" their illness or injuries as opposed to seeing a doctor.

I won't be surprised if this is partly due to the common social perception of men as the main breadwinners ...
 (Total 122 words)