General
How dogs could help doctors

How dogs could help doctors

Shared by:

Our furry companion is often called man’s best friend - but who would have thought that this lovable creature is capable of playing a significant role in healthcare?

today.mims.com

20 Sep 2016 - General

Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan: thank you :) I do not know of any hospitals or clinics which use dogs in therapy here but I would definitely be an advocate for this. Unlike Westerners who tend to see dogs as part of the family dogs are still mainly seen as plain animals here. I would like to change that concept though. Along that line I would like to remove the misconception that Pitbulls are dangerous.
 (Total 161 words)
Aside from Beethoven, I hope some of you hear knows Hachiko. Oh! I just love Hachiko. :) Anyway, I wouldn't have thought that dogs has this "special powers", detect hypoglycemia, seizure dogs, etc. In my practice and where I used to work, our activity coordinators would arrange PAT sessions, PAT stands for Pet as Therapy, in care homes and would visit the elderly, young person with disability and people living with Dementia. There's just somethig about dogs that people can'...
 (Total 126 words)
What a great article Jennifer Winter! I adore dogs and it's great to know that they can be really useful for certain kinds of patients. I also like the seizure dogs best, as they take away the fear and uncertainty for such patients suffering from this. I hope more of such dogs could be trained and used by patients here in the Philippines. I’ve also read about therapy dogs in hospitals. Do you know if there ar...
 (Total 108 words)
It is amazing Jemelyn Mae Sodusta isn't it? Dogs are capable of smelling out drugs or bombs so their role in healthcare should be something we should look forward to. Dogs can smell out volatile organic compounds or VOCs which are present in the urine. These are normally extracted in the laboratory but since their sniffers can detect it by smelling this definitely saves a lot of time and money. We discussed ...
 (Total 106 words)
It is amazing Jemelyn Mae Sodusta isn't it? Dogs are capable of smelling out drugs or bombs so their role in healthcare should be something we should look forward to. Dogs can smell out volatile organic compounds or VOCs which are present in the urine. These are normally extracted in the laboratory but since their sniffers can detect it by smelling this definitely saves a lot of time and money. We discussed ...
 (Total 106 words)
 (Total 106 words)
Wow. Its good to know that the saliva of the dog has its own benefits. Actually, everytime I saw a movie or someone with a dog with them and saw them licking the person. I really find it not so good. Like 'nahh!!! Why?'. I don't understand why most people are letting their dogs lick them? But nevermind. What important is you can let your beloved dog lick your wounds so that it will heal faster. So easy! This is so surprising that dogs can determine if you have a prostate cancer. Real...
 (Total 127 words)
I really love dogs. I was told that I more than a dog lover as I am higher level called a "dog parent". hehe The dog saliva issue did surprise me a tad as well when I did my research. I do not want to try this on patients of course as dogs' mouthes are quite dirty. Maybe if I were lying in a ditch and wounded and I have my trusted dog companion with me I would let him/her lick my wounds. I particularly like dog who are trained to be seizure watch dogs. I feel it does not solely wor...
 (Total 129 words)