General

Poor Sleep Is a Risk Factor For Cardiovascular Disorders

Created by:

21 Sep 2016 - General

the American Heart Association has announced that Sleep duration and sleep disorders may be risk factors for cardiometabolic and cardiovascular disease.

Researchers have conducted a literature review of studies related to sleep duration and disorders and cardiovascular and cardiometabolic disease.

Their results were published online September 19, 2016 in Circulation.

According to population-based studies, they write, obstructive sleep apnea and insomnia put people at significant risk of CVD and cerebrovascular diseases, including arrhythmias, atherosclerosis, coronary heart disease, heart failure, hypertension, and stroke, as well as metabolic diseases such as obesity, type 2 diabetes, and dyslipidemia.

They defined inadequate sleep as less than 7 hours a night. However, long sleep duration, defined as 9 or more hours a night, has also been linked to obesity, hypertension, and diabetes.

Cardiologists are advised to tell their patients not to take sleep lightly and to make sure they allow for sufficient time in bed, in order to obtain at least 7 hours of sleep per night.

Reference:

1.    St-Onge MP, Grandner MA, Brown D, et al. Sleep duration and quality: Impact on lifestyle behaviors and cardiometabolic health. Circulation 2016; DOI:10.1161/CIR.0000000000000444. Abstract

Sleep is essential for a healthy life not only for the healthy cardiovascular system.. People who have a less time to sleep are at higher risk for cardiovascular disease regardless of age, weight, smoking and exercise habits. One study that examined data from 3,000 adults over the age of 45 found that the group with a sleeping time less than six hours are double risky of having heart attacks and strokes more than the people with a sleeping time more than six hours. It has not been completely des...
 (Total 112 words)
It is about time that the AHA released the prescribed number of sleeping hours to prevent cardiovascular conditions. I would like to know the best time to sleep too as it was not mentioned. Some tell that sleeping beyond 12 midnight is harmful even if you sleep for more than 7 hours because you are disrupting and altering the release of cortisol, the stress hormone. I believe that sleep deprivation can lead to a sequelae of conditions because you tend to make questionable choices when sleepy. Mo...
 (Total 108 words)
I personally sleep 7-9 hours daily, this is the optimum for me. If more or less, I may get easily distracted and distressed. Even if I sleep 4 hours or less one day, I sleep the next day more than 9 hours mostly. It sounds funny but it is true for me. Actually, many people are able adapt sleeping less hours than recommended although they are mentally and physically tired. I agree with you Theekshana Abayawickrama ...
 (Total 140 words)
Its high time that AHA makes a scientific statement about this. Since the early 1980's studies have investigated the relationships between sleep duration, sleep patterns and mortality rate. Interest in its association with ischemic heart disease, hypertension, stroke and diabetes have also been explored in the early 2000's. Although AHA issued a non-definitive statement on the causation of CV risk factors and inadequate sleep, I think it is prudent to advise our patients to try and achie...
 (Total 171 words)
I hardly ever sleep for more than 7 hours. And it is not always because I don't have time to sleep. It is just that I am not used to sleeping for that many hours. But guess I will have to be cautious now because according to this, anything less than 7 hours of sleep is considered inadequate and is a major risk factor for cardiometabolic and cardiovascular disease. I think most of the healthcare professionals have this problem. In addition to poor sleep, we have multiple other risk factors li...
 (Total 112 words)