General

When the Patient is a Doctor

Created by:

21 Sep 2016 - General

One of the most challenging patients to have is a physician. Not only is it common for them to have so many complications (colloquially termed as "extensionitis"), but they always refuse or delay medical treatment. About a year ago, one of the "terror" doctors in our institution was admitted due to dizziness, nausea and vomiting. She was advised Cranial imaging and lumbar puncture but she refused. Her symptoms improved after a few days and she went home without doing anything. Few days later she recurred with similar symptoms. She finally agreed to a Cranial MRI and to our surprise she has multiple nodules on the cerebellar peduncles and atrial portions of both ventricles. She was advised a biopsy, but she was undecided and opted to go home instead. She held on to the belief that it was tubercular lesions and she started taking anti-TB regimen. She didn't come back until after two weeks, her symptoms worsened and she finally agreed to stereotactic biopsy. Turns out she had a lymphoma. Do you have any similar experiences?

i have been taking care of my son's medical needs since he was a baby through his teens and finally adult stage without any rebellious reactions but just obedience . I'm proud to be able to provide some expert drug and non drug counselling and treatments effectively i believed.
but when my obedient patient one day transformed into a qualified doctor ,my motherly advice on drinking more water when you are down with a fever besides the usual analgesia fell on deaf eras of course.He ev...
 (Total 141 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto I share the same character. I am also a difficult patient and I expect a lot from the physicians that I consult. That's why I refrain from making personal consultations with someone I know because I have this tendency to bargain whenever a difficult advice comes up. I guess your friend (the first one who treated you) was so nervous during the procedure that's why he failed to meet y...
 (Total 124 words)
I am a difficult patient to have when it's my turn to be on the dental chair. One time I needed a filling and asked my friend to do it for me, and it was so frustrating because he wasn't doing a good job at it. I knew it too, even before I asked him, but he was the easiest one to convince to come to my clinic. Anyway, I kept telling him what to do and it was so annoying. I eventually had the whole thing redone by another friend and she did a better job. And she kept asking me if I was ok...
 (Total 160 words)
Mark Edmon Tan Thanks for sharing that experience. I can imagine the situation. Of course it would be very hard to ask a mentor (more so a Senior mentor) to follow your medical advice. That's a good decision by the family to transfer him to another institution where he is not prominent. It has its pro's and con's. Sometimes its better to be admitted at where you're practicing because you are take...
 (Total 121 words)
Not so common in Sri Lanka. But the incidence is increasing. Most of the patients and the bi-standers believe what we say and do not have a clue about the conditions they have, unless we educate them. But some of the patients and the relatives just surf in the internet and make half aware about the conditions they have. But they do not have even a clue about the protocols we use to treat them. Recently an acute appendicitis patient came to the ward and their parents wanted to do the surgery as s...
 (Total 125 words)
Marinelle Castro "I think one of the reasons why some doctors are difficult patients - - is because they are really scared of what can happen" I absolutely agree with you on this one. Also, we know that some tests or procedure will really hurt such as arterial blood gas extraction or NGT insertion. It has been repeated throughout medical school that we should come in as patients when being seen by a doc...
 (Total 198 words)
I think one of the reasons why some doctors are difficult patients - - is because they are really scared of what can happen. Knowing all algorithms of what can happen to you can really make one paranoid. For those who insist on refusing certain tests, the principle is the same. They want to delay it or even get away with it if they can because they are afraid of possible results. In my personal opinion, thats just going to contribute to useless worry so better go ahead with a recommended test th...
 (Total 129 words)
I think type of challenge can be extended to other health professionals. Sometimes, having any health professionals as a patient can become difficult. It is ironic as you would think it would be easier as they would understand the medical jargon. Unfortunately, our brains can get the better of us. Those in the health industry can develop quite a habit of selectively presenting symptoms to match our own self-diagnosis. I have experienced it many times in the pharmacy where patients in the health ...
 (Total 121 words)
I think type of challenge can be extended to other health professionals. Sometimes, having any health professionals as a patient can become difficult. It is ironic as you would think it would be easier as they would understand the medical jargon. Unfortunately, our brains can get the better of us. Those in the health industry can develop quite a habit of selectively presenting symptoms to match our own self-diagnosis. I have experienced it many times in the pharmacy where patients in the health ...
 (Total 121 words)
 (Total 121 words)
It is indeed a fact how challenging it is when it comes to the doctors’ own health, as they are as irrational as everyone else. It is often said that doctors should become patients. Through physical struggles, we learn compassion and the hard work of recovery. On the one hand, doctors are uncommonly capable of treating themselves as they get distracted with their multiple symptoms and can usually underestimate their condition. On the other hand, the experience of being patients for some time rea...
 (Total 113 words)
There is that saying, "doctors are the worst patients" as we don't follow medical advice. hehe I think that is generalizing a bit but when a doctor doesn't follow what is said it makes it worse as we should know better. I definitely see how treating a doctor would be hard as we would always have our own input and sometimes would even push for other ways. I agree with You Yi Hong that we should p...
 (Total 97 words)
Doctor is human being as well, and can become a patient anytime. Treating a patient who is working as a doctor can be challenging at time. When the doctor became a patient, he/she can be acting like a stubborn patient, who may not be listening to any medical advice, but would do what he/she thought will be the best. I do have some experience treating or performing some procedures on doctors that are working in other different specialty. Luckily, my experience of treating and management them were...
 (Total 106 words)