General
Can nicotine protect the aging brain?

Can nicotine protect the aging brain?

Shared by:

Everyone knows that tobacco products are bad for your health. However, according to research, it turns out the nicotine itself--when given independently from tobacco--could help protect the brain as it ages, and even ward off Parkinson's or Alzheimer's disease.

www.sciencedaily.com

21 Sep 2016 - General

Thank you, Marinelle Castro, Mark Edmon Tan and Fedelic Ashish Toppo for your precious thoughts. I really like a comment posted by Alan Rosmadi. Thank you, sir, for suggestions and your precious feedback. I strongly agree with you. As you know the most successful research is accepted while other are rejected and it is just a trial. Texas and A & M University has carried out a research on the nicotine component of cigarette and tried to find out best out of it. They have used animal models an...
 (Total 140 words)
Why not produce tablets of nicotine? This is hilarious. From our general understanding, nicotine is bad and so is smoking. The last thing we want is to have every single individual believing in this and start smoking. I do not want to walk around with smoke everywhere. Everyone of us will get old and eventually pass on, and having a younger brain does not help to extend you mortality in any way if you are already diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer. Honestly, just rely on regular exercise and pro...
 (Total 135 words)
I'm really not sure what this study is trying to prove. The methodology is confusing. First of all nicotine has documented harmful effects. Let's say it has neuroprotective effects, still its utility as a chronic supplement is limited by unsatisfactory side effects. Second, it is unclear how the proponents of the study measured "neuroprotection". Did they perform a brain biopsy on the animal models? If so, what animal model did they use? Neuroprotection is a difficult topic in ...
 (Total 120 words)
I wonder what the dose would be for nicotine supplementation because it has a half-life of only 2 hours. It is also intriguing as to whether nicotine supplementation can lead to addiction because nicotine is popular for being the addictive substance in a cigarette stick. Effective route of administration will also be in question. As for its potential neuroprotective properties, nicotine inhibits appetite that could theoretically reduce fatty food intake. The reduction in fatty food intake can tr...
 (Total 139 words)
Great news for Smokers, the latest research has shown that nicotine protects the brain as it ages and it can also prevent the development of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease. It is found that nicotine has the ability to act as neuroprotective may be partly due to its ability to suppress appetite. It is also seen that nicotine is helpful in maintaining a weight of older individuals. An extensive research is needed to check out whether only appetite suppressing mechanism is involved or other me...
 (Total 122 words)