General

The Joy of Breakfast

Created by:

21 Sep 2016 - General

photo from www.fairfaxinnrestaurant.com

For the past month, I was not able to get breakfast due to a busy stretch. I noticed that having nothing for breakfast led to consumption of huge portions during lunch. Although it did not affect the quality of care for patients, skipping breakfast led to less efficiency and productivity. It became harder to do chores and I was forgetting simple things such as bringing pens and stamp of my license (a requirement when writing orders in the chart). The decline in productivity made me decide to eat breakfast today for a change. The feeling was different with a full stomach to power with throughout the day. Doing errands was easier and I was able to consume right proportion of meal for lunch. It struck me that I had to make effort to eat breakfast daily despite rushing for work. Trust me, it would really make a world of difference in terms of performance. By the way, I have posted a picture of a breakfast staple in the Philippines - tapsilog (acronym for tapa, sinangag, at itlog [marinated beef, garlic fried rice, and egg). Yes, we do eat rice for breakfast!

For the MIMS community, do you skip breakfast as well? What is the staple breakfast in your countries?

I don't eat breakfast. My daily routine is to wake up at 7 or 8, get ready for work, drive form my 10am appointment (which is the time we open in the clinic). I have coffee--it's all I need and sometimes I'll have toast or a small pastry to go with coffee, but just a cup is fine. My first meal is my lunch at 12 or 1--and if I have a busy stretch, the first meal will be at 4 or 5pm, but I'll have cookies/biscuits/granola bar in between patients. I have not needed breakfast for qui...
 (Total 192 words)
Priscilla Mae Gobuyan You are not alone with high affinity for breakfast meals. My wife and I have our tapsilog or tosilog (tocino is cured sweet and tender pork meat with garlic rice and egg) for dinner sometimes too! Some swear it is better after drinking alcohol. I have tried it once and it does taste better but I would still stick with hydration than eating a meal after a night cap. Healthcare providers reall...
 (Total 117 words)
Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan Breakfast food in the Philippines can be eaten anytime of the day. I am guilty of having breakfast meals at night as well haha. Thank you for sharing both sides of your experience with taking breakfast and lack thereof. I agree that it makes a person cranky when one is hungry. The millennials even coined a term HANGRY for it haha I agree with you that it is worth waking up early for a ...
 (Total 118 words)
Well this is not surprising for the healthcare providers. Most of us are guilty of this, skipping meals. They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, sadly we always take it for granted. I was already used to not eating breakfast since college years and I brought this up to now while going on duty. However I am already trying to practicing breakfast meals most especially before going on a 12-hour AM shift and after a tiring 12 hour night shift. That tastes satisfying having you...
 (Total 165 words)
Oooh, the picture makes me want to have breakfast even now (it's almost midnight, haha). Initially, I didn't see myself as a breakfast person. When I had a very hectic schedule, I used to just down a cup of coffee, some bread and jam; or if really pressed for time, just down a cereal drink. If I had a bit more time, I would have oatmeal and add in some fruits when available. In cases where I skipped breakfast, I found myself feeling weak and cranky until I had a snack. Now that I have mo...
 (Total 180 words)
Jemelyn Mae Sodusta Oh it is even harder to attend class on an empty stomach. You really need to rev the body up with calorie consumption to maintain focus during lectures. For us in the healthcare profession, we hurriedly consume everything to finish our tasks. I think bread and milk is a good foundation for starting the day. It is better when we get the luxury of eating heavy breakfast - our staple of rice, via...
 (Total 121 words)
Alan Rosmadi You speak the truth. I have learned my lesson the hard way. Working on an empty stomach is hard especially in the hospital because bulk of the errands pile up in the morning. Overeating for breakfast (for the lucky ones who can tolerate it) is also counterproductive because it leaves you drowsy when the time comes to perform. Good thing that work starts here at 8 AM so I have some spare time to consu...
 (Total 119 words)
Marinelle Castro Thank you for your comment. That used to be my routine too. Coffee for breakfast and nothing else until lunch time. It is great that you are trying to incorporate breakfast into your hectic surgery schedule. The field of surgery barely has time for morning routines because endorsements and first case usually start early. Milk is a good way to start the day and they say that you can actually drink...
 (Total 108 words)
Lately, I missed eating my breakfast for I don't have enough time. Usually, my good breakfast includes rice, a viand and milk. And there was a time when my german teacher talked to me and she asked me something. What I can only hear is my stomach begging for food. Lol. I can't focus in my class and I am not as productive as when I have eaten my breakfast. By then, I eat my food regularly and if it happens that i'm in short of time I always buy bread and milk or choco drink at the sam...
 (Total 100 words)
Skipping meals is a big mistake my friend. Especially breakfast. What if you are so tied up with schedule and you have to miss lunch or delay your lunch - It would affect you greatly mentally and physically. It is best that either you have proper meals or have small meals or snacks in between meals, so that your hunger will not overcome you and you can perform as per normal or better. But overeating can also be a problem for those who think that they consume double the portion to skip their next...
 (Total 96 words)
Mark Edmon Tan Great topic. I'm not really a breakfast person. Usually all I'd have is a cup of coffee or any warm drink and I'm good. If I'm hungry, I usually eat a light snack at around 10 am, which consists of a wrap or a sandwich. However, since I've been trying to live a healthier lifestyle, I started eating breakfast recently. I rarely eat rice for breakfast. I'd go for cereals, mue...
 (Total 183 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz Thank you for sharing your staple breakfast. I love the milky hot drink included in your daily usual. I used to have that drink as a kid but this got replaced by coffee somehow haha. Rice is a staple for all meals here in Asia and I think you would be hardpressed to find people who would prefer bread during breakfast. As for worrying about long term effects of eating rice for breakfast, I do not...
 (Total 126 words)
Having a breakfast every morning is a must for me. Our breakfast used to be light, healthy and very easy to prepare. Usually some bread with some mashed beans, potato, fruit jam or cheese with a glass of milky hot drink and followed with small sized fruit if possible would be very enough to start the day happily and full of energy and low oil content. However, Asian style of breakfast is very different. Breakfast in Malaysia usually consists of rice meal, spicy sauce, coconut milk and piece of c...
 (Total 142 words)