General
Beyond concussions: Could your patients be suffering from punch drunk syndrome?

Beyond concussions: Could your patients be suffering from punch drunk syndrome?

Shared by:

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or originally termed 'punch drunk syndrome', is a result from the effect of repeated trauma to the brain. Symptoms of it are usually subtle and may not even seem present in those afflicted by it, even to healthcare professionals.

today.mims.com

22 Sep 2016 - General

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) mostly results from repeated trauma to the brain and it is considered very dangerous disease due to its difficult diagnosis. CTE patient’s clinical presentations include a headache, depression, aggression and short-term memory loss. I have never encountered any CTE patient in my life but I have heard many times about such patients. It is really tough to diagnose such patients through autopsy but it is necessary to diagnose it at an earlier stage to give hop...
 (Total 116 words)
Boxing can be the main culprit for this and any other martial arts that you are able to attack the head region can be the culprit to all these. Actually any form of trauma to the head are the culprit. If the CT or MRI cannot detect these symptoms, how can we detect? Are there signs and symptoms to look out for specifically? Are they reversible and treatable if detected early? I know of a case of a young teenager who was disabled for life due to an injury to his head from his passion of boxing. S...
 (Total 113 words)
So far I've never suspected Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy in a patient. This is more common among patients who engage in combat sports with recurrent traumatic injuries to the head. This is usually suspected in boxers and wrestlers and in my practice, I see more of acute traumatic brain injury rather than a possible CTE patient. I'm not sure if any of you have heard of this news but just this year, a lot of senior wrestlers of WWE filed a lawsuit against them because of CTE and trauma...
 (Total 132 words)
A disease that can be only diagnosed following autopsy of the brain posthumously is a serious killer. It cannot even diagnosed by CT or MRI. It was primarily called punch drunk syndrome because a drunk person loses his/her balance easily leading to repeated unnoticed head traumas. However, some sports such as football, rugby and boxing and with anything that can cause repeated head trauma is a risk factor for this disease. Even military veterans also commonly suffer from this disease due to repe...
 (Total 137 words)