General
First new antibiotic in a decade aims to counter growing bacterial resistance

First new antibiotic in a decade aims to counter growing bacterial resistance

Shared by:

Researchers in Hong Kong have synthesised a new antibiotic that aims to counter the growing problem of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

today.mims.com

22 Sep 2016 - General

Another promising discovery of researchers. This antibiotic if can passed all of the clinical trials will be of great help since bacteria may not stay resistant in this new discovered drug for too long. That only means that faster recovery and treatment will be expected. I just hope that once the drug is made available in the market, it will be affordable and easily accessible. Availability, accessibility and affordability are factors that can affect the decision of the patients to buy. So, hopi...
 (Total 86 words)
This is good news for the infectious disease subspecialty. The advances in technology has gone a long way to bioengineer antibiotics using resistant bacterial DNA content. However, I think that the problem on antimicrobial resistance will never be eradicated. Resurgence is a natural phenomena among living organisms. The only thing we can do is to prolong the timeframe before bacteria acquires resistance through more rational use of antibiotics. Just as a foresight, given the current technology, ...
 (Total 133 words)
And as we're still waging the war on antibiotic resistance, new antibiotics being discovered is indeed very good news. Though this new discovery, teixobactin, is still being studied, I hope it can be made into a successful drug and pass all preclinical and clinical trials. Another great finding is that “mutant strains of Staphylococcus aureus or Mycobacterium tuberculosis that are resistant to teixobactin have not been obtained despite repetitive treatments,” which may mean that bacteria may...
 (Total 109 words)