General

Divorce and Mental Health

Created by:

22 Sep 2016 - General

In the Philippines, divorce is unheard of. Legally, marriages are dissolved through the process of annulment. Because of our different backgrounds and traditions, Asians are generally more religious than Westerners and I'd like to believe that we put more value on marriage and family life. However, in the recent years, statistics show that one out of 5 marriages are annulled in my country. In 2012 alone, 10,528 cases were filed for the nullity and annulment of marriages. This translates to 28 cases of nullity every day. Marriage failure is one of the causes of major depressive disorders and these rising rates of annulment can pose adverse effects on the mental health of both parties and their children. Unfortunately, I could not find any studies on local rates of depression because of marital discord. Psychiatric support is not very well sought in our region because of social stigma - - which translates to a bigger problem.

In your region, what is the process of marital separation and how common is it? Is there social stigma when it comes to seeking psychiatric help?

I am separated, not legally and still going through an annulment with an "husband" that's not making my life any easier---but when did he, really? When I first got separated, it was not easy for me to even speak of it. I told close friends and avoided gatherings where questions are most likely to be asked, "Where's _______________". When people ask me where he is, I say he's visiting family in the province because he's really there. i would even wear my weddin...
 (Total 219 words)
Marinelle Castro I really wish that social stigma can be dampened. It getting removed is a long shot because even in western countries seeing a psychiatrist still points to there is something wrong here. Maybe the marriage counselling would help the couple or not. It is best to try if they really want to save their marriage. I have to say using Brad and Angelina as the picture a good move hehe. It is a big entert...
 (Total 93 words)
Thank you for sharing your insights on the topic. Alan Rosmadi I hope you won’t misunderstand my statement. As An Chau said, I was discussing religion on a cultural context in relation to the value of marriage. It was not meant to be a derogatory remark to an individual from either cultures. ...
 (Total 133 words)
I think the increase of separation and divorce is mainly due to getting married because of "love". The reason to get married before was for financial security which is why those marriages lasted longer or hardly ended in divorce or separation. To add on to what Marinelle Castro mentioned about separation in this country, there is a strong social stigma here on getting separated. A lot of families here w...
 (Total 185 words)
I think Marinelle Castro might be referring more to cultural differences due to her comment on values :). Asians generally do have stronger values in marriage where they believe marriage is bound for life, but fast forwarding to modern day and western influences - Alan Rosmadi is right to say it isn't so black and white anymor...
 (Total 75 words)
Singapore is a multi racial country and we see annulment almost everyday. But i do not think it is right to say that Asians are generally more religious than Westerners. Yes we might be a lot more conservative but comparing if you are more religious then others is juts not right. It cannot be measured. I know of Asians who pretend to be religious but are not. And vice versa.

Those annulling in Singapore mostly do not require psychiatric help. Most of them have to go through counselling...
 (Total 105 words)
Nowadays, I believe that the rate of divorce is increasing, comparing to before. Divorce is a mentally challenging situation for both parties. It is a very distressing event. I don’t think there is much social stigma associated with divorce. The unwanted events leading to the ultimate decision of divorcing can be very stressful. Either party or both parties will be facing depression or low mood, or coping disorder with such a life event. Some people may turn into dependency to alcohol or illegal...
 (Total 108 words)
Growing up in Australia meant I didn't feel the social stigma of divorce. Separation, defacto relationships and divorce are considered options here. At all my workplaces, I would say at least 2 men or women were either divorced or separated. I have worked with many single parents. However, growing up in an Asian family means I also understand (and agree) to the cultural stigma to such decisions. In Australia, to my surprise, divorce rates have actually decreased over the years. In 2014, the ...
 (Total 133 words)
It is quite difficult to judge. I have witnessed some divorces because of psychiatric problems and some other cases were more relieved after the divorce. It depends on many factors indeed. The psychiatric illness’ stigma is one of them. In some communities where they consider a psychiatric patient a person with spiritual problem or not religious enough, expressing the manifestations of psychiatric illness may threaten the marriage life especially if accompanied with hyper excitability conditions...
 (Total 128 words)