General
Popcorn Lung: A Dangerous Risk of Flavored E-Cigarettes

Popcorn Lung: A Dangerous Risk of Flavored E-Cigarettes

Shared by:

Over a decade ago major popcorn manufacturers removed diacetyl from their products because of deaths and hundreds of cases of bronchiolitis obliterans, a serious and irreversible lung disease. But some people are still being exposed to diacetyl - not through food flavorings as a worksite hazard, but through e-cigarette vapor.

www.lung.org

23 Sep 2016 - General

I always believed that e-cigarettes was not the solution to quitting smoking. I believe that the act of smoking is preserved and it can only sustain a transient hiatus from taking a cigarette puff. I also believed that some unwanted effect may be seen with e-cigarettes. Alas, flavors have now been discovered to contain diacetyl that is extremely harmful to the lungs. Over time, e-cigarette smokers will get popcorn lung that is similar to COPD, a disease acquired usually from a significant smokin...
 (Total 140 words)
E-cigarettes are still seen to be the lesser evil though it hasn't been around all too long for us to know the long term adverse effects it gives. The problems for smokers when they stop is of course the lack of will power and the need for that hand to mouth satisfaction. Some say that switching to e-cigarettes help in the transition but others are able to go cold turkey. Marinelle Castro: For patients I woul...
 (Total 123 words)
Marinelle Castro It is great to know that you have given up smoking completely. I highly doubt that it can be totally safe. However, it does help some smokers to stop smoking. “What we know from the limited evidence we have available, electronic cigarettes that contain nicotine can help people stop smoking,” said Jamie Hartmann-Boyce of the University of Oxford, a co-author of the Cochrane review and a research ...
 (Total 104 words)
Good thing I completely stopped smoking. I remembered using electronic cigarettes for a few months on my first attempt to quit. It helped me quit but not for long. Eventually the cravings returned and I went back to conventional smoking. Anyway, smoking anything is bad in general so we don't need so much evidence to justify why people need to stop smoking. I'm not sure whether you noticed the comments in the article. There's one who commented denying that the chemical is placed withi...
 (Total 136 words)
This is the first time I heard about Electronic cigarette. The only thing that I am familiar with is Vape. Because it is widely available here in our country. And I have a classmate who keep on posting her Vaping in social media. I think it should be studied too. Just like Ecigarette, Vape was believed that it is better to use than the traditional cigarette since it has lesser effects to the health of users. But reading this article it causes more harmful to the health of users. There should be ...
 (Total 134 words)
At first I thought the condition was referred to as the 'popcorn lung' because the shape of the lung or the lung shadow took the shape of a popcorn! :D But apparently it is called the popcorn lung, because the main chemical that is responsible for the disease, diacetyl, is also present in microwaved popcorn. The E cigarette has become popular nowadays, and people believe that the E cigarette is associated with less harmful effects to the body, but new evidence are emerging that it is as...
 (Total 108 words)
This is serious and an urgent issue of public health that must be handled as early as possible. The use of e-cigarettes among youth is increasing rapidly so FDA should act quickly and ban the use of diacetyl and other harmful agents in the e-cigarette. American Lungs Association has raised this issue to prevent lungs diseases and save the human lives by improving lung’s health. Diacetyl causes popcorn lungs or bronchiolitis obliterans that is scaring of tiny air sacs in the lungs due to thickeni...
 (Total 124 words)
Bronchiolitis obliterans, is a serious and irreversible lung disease can be caused by the flavoured e-cigarettes which usually contain a chemical called diacetyl. When inhaled, diacetyl causes bronchiolitis obliterans - more commonly referred to as "popcorn lung" - a scarring of the tiny air sacs in the lungs resulting in the thickening and narrowing of the airways. The symptoms include coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath, similar to the symptoms of chronic obstructive pulmonary...
 (Total 188 words)