General
Introduce eggs and peanuts early in infants' diets to reduce the risk of allergies

Introduce eggs and peanuts early in infants' diets to reduce the risk of allergies

Shared by:

In the 1970s, when we were in school, food allergies were rare. But Australian children now have the highest rate of food allergy in the world. Up to one in 10 infants and two in 10 school-aged children have a proven food allergy.

www.sciencealert.com

24 Sep 2016 - General

I have severe allergies to seafood. I don't know when it was discovered but the allergic reaction progressed through the years. Initially it was just rashes on my body, then swollen lip, then itchy throat---nowadays, my airways just get blocked and I cannot breathe. The worst attack I had was in the US when I merely inhaled crabs being cooked in the house and I couldn't breathe anymore. Anyway, my sister is allergic to peanuts. We discovered it when she was less than one year old. We wer...
 (Total 173 words)
I totally agree with @Mark Edmon Tan Introducing variable foods in early age is definitely crucial in programming the immune system which food will be considered friendly to the immune system. A friend of mine used to have allergies to various types of food. It starts in his infancy when his mum noticed that certain types make him itchy and give him skin rashes. The doctor advised her to try all the food separately to determine what sort of food exactly that trigger the allergic reaction. It was...
 (Total 184 words)
Early desensitization could be beneficial especially in kids who have parents that are known to be allergic to certain food groups. The key here is to introduce the potential allergen slowly by controlling the proportion to small amounts. My children's pediatrician has a way for introducing eggs. He starts egg introduction at 7 months old with a one week trial of egg yolk only since it does not contain albumin. If the child tolerates the yolk, parents may proceed to trial of egg white feedin...
 (Total 132 words)
The food allergies in children are increasing dramatically especially in Australia, therefore, Australian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy has recommended adding egg and peanuts in the diet of infants to prevent anaphylaxis. The most common foods that are responsible for allergic reactions in children are soy, cow’s milk, egg, wheat, peanut, tree nuts, sesame, fish and few kinds of seafood. The egg and peanuts allergies are most common allergies in infants and even toddlers. Although t...
 (Total 120 words)
In clinical practice, it is fairly common to see food allergy. According to epidemiologic studies, the most common food allergen in Asia is shellfish perhaps because fishing is also a predominant food source in our region. In infants and children, the two most common food allergies are egg and cow’s milk allergy and its prevalence does not differ much from Western data. I’m not aware if there are feeding guidelines that prevents food allergy in Asians. However, I encountered this position paper ...
 (Total 124 words)
Main phrase here is moderate certainty. Which from my understanding they might or might not be sure about this. Many times, i am sure some parents with a wilder beast attitude might have tried this out but did not get a positive outcome for this. Many were definitely turn down by nature and are in doubt till today about the safety of their kids. And many with allergies who have went through allergic reaction with bad, traumatic events might have the phobia and apprehensive to introduce, what is...
 (Total 125 words)
The incidence of allergies among children is considerably higher in the current young generation compared to a few generations ago. In my opinion, one major contributory factor is parents being overprotective of the child. When I was young, I did every thing that is imaginable. Kids are and should be exposed to the bacteria, normal flora and fauna, because it helps to shape our immune mechanism. But overprotective parents sometimes will not allow children to go out or play in the outside with th...
 (Total 127 words)