General

The best breakfast buritto!

Created by:

24 Sep 2016 - General

I tried something new this week and wanted to share this healthy and delicious, one of the best breakfast burrito i have made so far. Try it! Great for lunch too!

Ingredients

• 2 teaspoons canola oil
  • 1/2 small red onion, diced (1 cup)
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 cup drained, rinsed canned black beans, preferably low-sodium
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 eggs and 4 egg whites
  • 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2-ounce) shredded pepper Jack cheese
  • Cooking spray
  • 4 (10-inch) whole-wheat tortillas (burrito-size)
  • 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1/4 cup salsa
  • 1 large tomato, (4 ounces) seeded and diced
  • 1 small avocado (4 ounces), cubed
  • Hot sauce

Directions

1. Heat the canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over a medium-high heat.
  2. Cook the onions and peppers until onions are softened and peppers are slightly charred, about 8 minutes.
  3. Add black beans and red pepper flakes and cook until warmed through, another 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a dish.
  4. Whisk together the eggs and egg whites then stir in the cheese.
  5. Spray the skillet with cooking spray, and reheat the skillet over a medium heat.
  6. Reduce heat to low and add eggs, scrambling until cooked through, about 3 minutes.
  7. Spread each tortilla with 1 tablespoon each sour cream and salsa, 
  8. layer with 1/4 of the black bean mixture,
  9. 1/4 of the scrambled eggs,
  10. some diced tomato,
  11. 1/4 of the avocado.
  12. Season, with hot sauce.
  13. Roll up burrito-style and serve.

Vitamins & nutrients: Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Vitamin K, Calcium, Iodine, Iron, Potassium, Selenium, Protein, Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C

Calories 460; Total Fat 20 g, Protein 23 g; Carb 51 g; Fiber 12 g; Cholesterol 235 mg; Sodium 860 mg

I love burritos too. We don't have many restaurants here in my country that offer this delicious food. There is one street food restaurant I know that have these and that is the place I go to when I miss the taste of a spicy hot burrito. I did not know making one at home would be possible. I mean anything is possible but I didn't stop to think maybe I could make one at home. Thank you for sharing the recipe on here, and most of all for making me realize that you actually can cook those ...
 (Total 103 words)
Awesome recipe Alan Rosmadi. During times when I can eat breakfast, egg is usually a staple. Eggs are packed in protein and has the highest biological value (100% of protein can be absorbed) plus the yolk is packed with B vitamins and HDL. I see that you also included avocados that provide healthy fat and makes the breakfast way more palatable and healthier than adding mayo. I have noticed that you have added chi...
 (Total 90 words)
I like burritos. I don't always have rice, but wraps, sandwiches, burgers --- I like. In college I become accustomed to food-on-the-go, so I've learned to eat without rice. Now I just eat it when I want, but it's not my daily staple. Wraps are good, but I often use ingredients that are lying around. I've never tried a breakfast burrito, but why not? I'll try this one soon. I usually have chicken, cheese and lettuce. Once I did a kani salad version and it's good too. I als...
 (Total 95 words)