General
5 common food borne diseases that patients need to look out for

5 common food borne diseases that patients need to look out for

Shared by:

After a large outbreak of hepatitis A in the U.S. caused by strawberries from Egypt last month, we review five forms of food-borne diseases that are typical in our part of the world.

today.mims.com

24 Sep 2016 - General

In the Philippines, street food is a common source of afternoon snack. In fact, I remember when I was a child, there was a popular outbreak of Hepatitis A because of widespread contamination of street food. One by one students started manifesting with jaundice. Aside from this, I've never heard of other foodborne illness epidemics in Manila. Another common problem that people can get from street food are parasitic infections - amebiasis, ascariasis, etc. Although I am not fond of eating stre...
 (Total 157 words)
That is true Mahmoud AbdelAziz . Information dissemination is one way to educate the food workers on how to handle the food correctly. Foodborne illness is caused by consuming contaminated foods or beverages. Many different disease-causing microbes or pathogens can contaminate foods, so there are many different types of foodborne illnesses. Most foodborne diseases are infections caused by a variety of bacteria, v...
 (Total 102 words)
In order to have safer food, I think there are many elements in the food cycle to work on, most importantly the food workers themselves. As there is a growing demand for food safety information at the international, national and local level, it is imperative to teach both producers and consumers few simple messages to avoid spreading these food borne diseases. I have seen many kinds of food that are half cooked as the recipes require that sometimes and this can be reason for some parasitic disea...
 (Total 120 words)
Tahira Nawaz You have a great point there in singling out countries with poor hygienic practices. In the Philippines, consuming street foods is a risk for hepatitis because the sauce is available for multiple dipping. One can bite a calamari (fried squid) in half then dip it again in the sauce of choice. This promotes potential spread of communicable agents as discussed in the article. The most important step in ...
 (Total 131 words)
Foodborne diseases are very common in the regions where proper hygienic measures are not carried out before and after eating. It is very necessary to wash and clean your hands properly before eating any food. The fruits and vegetables must be cleaned with proper washing before eating. Raw fruit and vegetables should be stored in the refrigerator with proper packing and do not mix them. The food should be cooked properly to kill all harmful microbes and always cover your food with a lid to preven...
 (Total 104 words)
Food borne infection can be easily transmitted around if proper food handling hygiene is not adequately controlled or complied to. Most of the food borne infections are self-limiting medical illness, but some of them do have some small risk of leading to a more serious medical condition, that can possibly be life threatening, especially in the cohort of elderly fragile people, and immunocompromised patients. Proper hand washing is very important in the prevention, as the transmission is usually...
 (Total 109 words)
Foodborne illnesses are common and it is our role as healthcare providers to educate our patients. The World Health Organization advocates 5 strategies for food safety. First is to keep everything clean. This may be done by proper hand washing techniques prior to food preparation, eating meals and after using the comfort room. Its also recommend to sanitize equipment and kitchen surfaces. Second is to separate raw and cooked food during food preparation and storage. Adequate cooking is also impo...
 (Total 136 words)