General
Homemade repellent now a hit product

Homemade repellent now a hit product

Shared by:

A mosquito repellent that started off as a concoction mixed in one man's kitchen has become such a hit that hotels and businesses have placed orders for it.. Read more at straitstimes.com.

www.straitstimes.com

24 Sep 2016 - General

Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan thanks for looking it up!! So it's a combination of natural essential oils. I might also add that these essentials oils have little evidence of protection against the Aedes mosquito that carry Zika. The evidence indicates that it may hold some protection against mosquitoes but for very very short periods. The only natural essential oil proven to be as effective as other actives lik...
 (Total 107 words)
I was very curious (and a bit skeptical) about the product so I looked it up. From their website, it says that "it contains beeswax (harvested from Italian bees) as the base for the creams, American peppermint essential oil (air-flown in to preserve its efficacy) and Indian neem oil (Cold pressed to ensure highest yield of beneficial components)." Other ingredients seen from the label are essential oils from the ff. herbs: Litsea cubeba, cedarwood, orange, and carrot seed. Though the p...
 (Total 166 words)
An Chau I am really concerned with this product because even hotels buy them as the article states. We are not even sure if the product is effective and people may just be ripped off with their hard-earned money. I am not condoning the product nor putting down the developer but just genuinely concerned about the general population's health. This might lead into a false belief that this repellent will protect ...
 (Total 106 words)
An Chau I was thinking about the same thing. How can you promote a product without revealing the main active ingredient. I know that he would want to keep the "secret" recipe but he has to spill the main ingredient. Moreover, I am also concerned about the safety of the product since the study is not objectively measured. Fair-skinned people are known to be less susceptible to insect bites than darker sk...
 (Total 141 words)
I wonder how effective this man's concoction for a mosquito repellent is! His method of testing the effectiveness of his product does not seem very controlled. Tests were based on people going on fishing trips and seeing how many bites they got. I also wonder if his product is NEA (National Environment Agency) certified, which is a requirement for repellents and insecticides in Singapore. It is a pity they don't mention the active ingredient in his product. What an impressive story for h...
 (Total 91 words)