General

The disease you want to eradicate

Created by:

24 Sep 2016 - General

Almost all of us (if not all) entered the world of medicine because we all want to save lives. We have some sort of Messianic complex to sacrifice our lives for the sake of others. Have you ever thought or hoped that someday you can find a cure for a certain disease? If there was one disease that I can find a cure for --- I would really like to cure spinal cord injury (Cervical if a certain type is needed). I know that there are more devastating illnesses, but whenever I encounter someone with this condition, I somehow feel helpless as a doctor. Even if I stabilize the spine, most of the time the function won't return even with maximal treatment. The most difficult moment is when you have to tell the patient the prognosis. There's just no way to sugarcoat it.

So what's that one disease that you want to eradicate given the chance?

@Marinelle Castro- Thank you for sharing this article. If given a chance, I would definitely like to eradicate the disease called 'STRESS' from the world. The world is a happy place to live and I believe that stress is a root cause of most of the other diseases. It is also quoted that 99% of diseases are psychosomatic. Stress is a debilitating disease that can have severe, devastating outcomes. Also, diseases like cancer, diabetes, hypertension and other lifestyle disorders have been sho...
 (Total 112 words)
@Marinelle Castro- Thank you for sharing this article. If given a chance, I would definitely like to eradicate the disease called 'STRESS' from the world. The world is a happy place to live and I believe that stress is a root cause of most of the other diseases. It is also quoted that 99% of diseases are psychosomatic. Stress is a debilitating disease that can have severe, devastating outcomes. Also, diseases like cancer, diabetes, hypertension and other lifestyle disorders have been sho...
 (Total 112 words)
Thank you for sharing your insight on this topic. It seems like there are a lot of healthcare providers who want to cure cancer. During the last ten years, there have been a lot of advances in the field of oncology. This led to significant changes in statistics in terms of morbidity and mortality. I read this recent article from BBC about leukemia and brain cancer in children. There have been considerable advancements in the treatment of leukemia, which led to the improvement of survival. Becaus...
 (Total 157 words)
What an interesting topic! Well, I would like to eradicate the pathogenic viruses, haha! Though I know that viruses do play significant roles in the ecosystem and in various medical advancements as well, a lot of deaths and diseases have been brought on by these microscopic fellas. Think about it, we wouldn’t be battling so many diseases right now if not for the existence of such viruses like those that cause HIV, Zika, measles, polio, etc. This being said, I guess eliminating viruses could alte...
 (Total 135 words)
When my Papa was sick, I just hated all the problems he had, especially kidney disease. We hated creatinine. He always says, "Crea, crea!" Anyway, as a dentist if there is one thing I want to eradicate, it's bone resorption. After tooth extraction, even if you perform bone grafts, bone will resorb and of course since extraction is an automatic solution for Filipinos and people cannot really spend for bone grafts, I am often troubled by patients with completely resorbed jaw bone. Th...
 (Total 140 words)
I would have to say diabetes. . Diabetes, regardless of sugar control, increases the risk factor for stroke by seven times. 5 years of diabetes is a risk factor for diabetic retinopathy. End-stage chronic kidney disease leading to dialysis is also another complication. Diabetic peripheral neuropathy is a complication that can lead to infected wounds. Of the many complications of diabetes, I want to treat the disease because it leads to diabetic foot and subsequent amputation. We are handling cas...
 (Total 119 words)
The first thing in my head that i would like to eradicate is cancer. But it was already mentioned in the comment. So, if given a chance ( though I am not a doctor) it would be Alzheimers disease or dementia. Alzheimers disease is known to have no cure where symptoms manifested by the patient can only be slow down or controlled. Most of the time patient with this kind of disease are considered incapacitated since they are not able to perform their daily needs. If this will be cured and can be era...
 (Total 136 words)
I would say malignancy or cancer will be the most important medical illness to be completed cure or eradicate. Until now, with the advancement of medical and surgical treatment, the survival of patients with cancer will be prolonged with a better prognosis. But, most of the cancer are still incurable. Patient with metastatic malignancy will usually have a very poor prognosis and survival. There are a lot of complications from the malignancy/cancer. With the increasing of aging population, the i...
 (Total 118 words)
I dream of eradicating depression. Depression is among the 10 leading causes of death. Of course I would love to see the whole list of these causes eradicated but I would highlight depression for many reasons. Firstly, Depression is very common to be underestimated problem and the patient is in bad need for others’ help as 80% of individuals affected by depression do not receive any treatment. Secondly, it affects over 121 million worldwide leading to many financial and familial negative sequela...
 (Total 117 words)
Well you are right. Out of all the options that were there to choose from, we chose medicine because we wanted to make a difference to the life of someone who is suffering. It is not that there aren't times that I regret the choice I made, but all in all I am happy with what I'm offering to the world. So to answer your question, if i was ever given a wish, to wish for a cure for any disease that there is, I would pick cancer. Almost every tissue of the body is susceptible to develop into...
 (Total 127 words)