General
Win an Argument With Someone Who’s ‘Always Right’ | Reader’s Digest

Win an Argument With Someone Who’s ‘Always Right’ | Reader’s Digest

Shared by:

These sensible strategies can help you argue effectively.

www.rd.com

25 Sep 2016 - General

I am used to arguing with people who are always right---my dad. And with all the arguments going on in social media about politics, it's also good to apply the points discussed here. I don't know about stay strong and calm though, I'm always known to be hysterical, but rest assured, I play with facts and evidence and not emotions because it holds no bearing. It is also important that you live to fight another day so you have to pick your battles---battles that are worth the effort, a...
 (Total 143 words)
Jemelyn Mae Sodusta I do not use sarcasm because it provokes the other person during an argument. It defeats the purpose of having an intelligent conversation. I believe that telling someone about something straight up is the mature way when disagreeing on something. We should be receptive to things we don't like to hear because that is what the truth is. Sometimes, it is really bitter and one has be mature...
 (Total 143 words)
There's an old adage, "Choose your battles" and it took me some time before I was able to put this into practice. I believe that in one's lifetime, one will encounter too many arguments and it would be unwise to get worked up for all of it. Everybody wants to win an argument. We all want to convince people that we have the correct opinion, but what for? This holds true most especially when you are arguing with someone of authority. They will always feel superior towards you and...
 (Total 131 words)
I have a question. In your opinion, Dr. Theekshana Abayawickrama and Dr. Mark Edmon Tan, when it happens that you are in a heated argument, do you use sarcasm to encourage the person? Because I had this experience (not in medical field) uses sarcasm but in the end of the conversation or class that person will explain that he/she is...
 (Total 103 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama This is an awesome article. We should always argue intelligently. Basing an argument on hearsay or opinion is always a weak case. If you take out emotion and remain objective, a rational discussion can be had as well. The tone is also important as well. Staying calm shows that you are confident and does not provoke the other end of the conversation. Raising tone will let you hear voices on...
 (Total 113 words)
Have we all not been in that situation, where you know for sure that what you are saying is right, but the other person just will not listen? No matter how much you try to prove your point, some people are not willing to change their opinion. Not even when they realize that what they are saying might actually be wrong. Well, I have had enough of those experiences, and have nearly lost my temper and got into heated arguments. Here is an article that might come in handy the next time you are in th...
 (Total 101 words)