General
Actress dies of cancer after choosing traditional Chinese medicine over chemotherapy

Actress dies of cancer after choosing traditional Chinese medicine over chemotherapy

Shared by:

The death of a young Chinese actress from lymphoma after choosing to undergo TCM treatment instead of chemotherapy puts the spotlight back on the validity of traditional medicine.

today.mims.com

27 Sep 2016 - General

Traditional Chinese medicine is really far from those in the Western type of practice. There is a minimal percentage of cancer survivors, let us face reality. It could have been just that if the actress haven't prolonged to undergo chemotherapy, she could have lived even longer. Nonetheless most likely she will still end up passing away or maybe not, who is really to tell? I have also nothing against TCM but it could be used for not so critical or chronic illnesses such as cancer. There are ...
 (Total 108 words)
In the area of evidence based medicine, the treatment offered to treat any kind of medical condition should really has supporting evidence for its use. Depend on the type of cancer and stage of cancer, some of the chemotherapy (together with +/- surgery +/- radiation), may be able to overcome the cancer (if early stage or favourable cancer type), or may be improving the survival benefit. Going through the chemotherapy regimen will usually be tough journey. To be honest, there are no great evide...
 (Total 116 words)
That's just sad. I agree with Alex Ngai that discrediting one school of medicine for treatment of potentially fatal illnesses is foolish. TCM can be very helpful but with diseases with serious and acute consequences, one must thoroughly study what is the best treatment. There are illnesses that TCM can be of great value, but with this one, her decision caused her to lose good leverage had she started the trea...
 (Total 105 words)
Traditional Chinese medicine is very different to Western medicine. It is a complex system. So it is very difficult for western doctors to test whether it works for treating or preventing cancer. It is even more difficult to test TCM using randomised clinical trials, and compare the results to conventional medicine. As TCM is tailored to the patient, it can't be tested by giving a group of patients the same medicine for a certain amount of time. I would never recommend a cancer patient or an...
 (Total 128 words)
I have sadly seen patients who would've lived longer or even survived their cancer if they didn't delay chemo due using TCM instead. Alex Ngai: Many do have that misconception about cancer treatment. It was more gruesome in the past as we have developed better ways to allow the treatment to be more tolerable. I am not discrediting TCM though. There was once a time when we thought the world was flat when i...
 (Total 132 words)
A doctor whom I met recently told me something about patients' misconceptions about chemotherapy and radiotherapy: many people still have an image from 10 years ago of cancer patients suffering in great pain from chemotherapy or radiotherapy treatment. The fact is that in most cases, chemotherapy and radiation therapy has improved greatly from the earlier days when it might seem like the treatment itself was worse than the disease.

I'm not knocking TCM, in fact I make use of TC...
 (Total 108 words)