General
8 hour shift vs 12 hour shift: Which is better for nurses?

8 hour shift vs 12 hour shift: Which is better for nurses?

Shared by:

Working shift hours are commonly a main topic among nurses. Here we explore the pros and cons of the eight hours vs the 12 hours shift.

today.mims.com

28 Sep 2016 - General

Alex Ngai Thanks for your concern. You are right that the quality of health we provide is already compromised that we get to have adequate quality rest for ourselves. However our body became used to the routine we get to reward ourselves on our day offs. As to eating and hydrating during our shift, we seldom get to eat due to toxicity. So what I am doing is that before the shift may start, I see to it that I get ...
 (Total 137 words)
Priscilla Mae Gobuyan I would think that the biggest worry for 12 hour shifts is the quality of work and the quality of rest. By the time anyone is nearing the end of a 12 hour shift, I won't be surprised if their alertness and focus takes a big hit. In an industry such as healthcare, where attention to detail is vital, missing any small information can be disastrous.

The quality of care is also imp...
 (Total 155 words)
I have also created a topic regarding this 8-hour and 12-hour shifts few months ago. In my personal experience, I would rather choose a 12-hour shift than an 8-hour shift. I am an outgoing person who loves to go on out of towns, spend it with friends or simply relax at home. Given that we are working in the Philippines,going into an 8 hour shift does not literally mean after hours you're exactly off and being send out. Due to long endorsement periods and whatever things that we need to compl...
 (Total 213 words)
I think the decision will depend on the specific unit and patient turnover rate. In units with increased patient turnover rate, like the emergency room and outpatient department, then I would suggest that an 8 hour shift is a better option. For chronic care facilities or for those with less patient turnover rates like the stroke unit or the geriatric care unit, then a 12 hour shift will be advantageous for continuity of care. I'm not a nurse, but in general, I prefer longer shifts because I ...
 (Total 147 words)
Waaah. I think 8 hours shift is not possible for nurses. Some of my friends, though they have a schedule of 8 hours duty they tend to go out from work after 10 hours or sometimes even more. Especially when there is an emergency or there help is still needed. And for my experience, we had a 12 hours duty per shift. It is really tiring, exhausting and draining. And our extensions (lets say 1 and a haf hour or 2 hours) are actually not paid. Its like working your *** off with out any compensation g...
 (Total 164 words)
I will support the 8-hour shift. Nurses are an integral part of any healthcare organization. In the 8 hour shift, shifts can be rotated between different nurses. This ensures that the work is done effectively. I believe, the 8-hour shift will be supported by nurses as they can have enough time to spend with their family and for fulfilling other social obligations. The 12-hour shift is very tiring for the nurses. I have worked in a multi speciality hospital where nurses complained about the long ...
 (Total 112 words)
Nurses are an integral part of health care professionals in a Hospital or any patient care setting. Nurses have continuous duty hours because their continuous support is required for all hospitalized patients. There are two types of nurse’s, shifts one is eight hours shift and other is twelve hours shift. Eight hours shift is in favor of nurses while twelve hours shift is in favor of patients. Patients quickly attach to their health care professionals especially nurses, therefore, they want more...
 (Total 144 words)