General
First 'three person baby' born using new method - BBC News

First 'three person baby' born using new method - BBC News

Shared by:

The world's first baby has been born using a new "three person" fertility technique, heralding a new era in medicine, say experts.

www.bbc.com

28 Sep 2016 - General

Marinelle Castro yup catalog babies right there. I do not like the idea one bit. We can shop for that perfect outfit but we shouldn't be given the luxury to shop for the "perfect baby". What will happen to society if this is allowed? Vanity will soar higher than it already does and our attitudes will change immensely. That is how I see it. I 100% agree with that this will de-value human life. May we...
 (Total 82 words)
Francis NFA Jennifer Winter Yeah this definitely brings up a lot of ethical dilemmas. All in all, I think this is man's way of artificial breeding, which of course carries a lot of advantage in terms of genetics and disease prevention. Just imagine 10 years from now, there would be considerable advancements in this form of re...
 (Total 124 words)
Francis NFA: I only thoroughly read through your post after I posted my comment. So these babies are referred to as "designer babies" as they are genetically modified. As early as the 90's there was a case where a couple got to select the gender of their baby. For physical attributes I am not sure if it is hearsay or I saw it in a magazine a few years back but there are cases where couples selected t...
 (Total 111 words)
Marinelle Castro yes I remember our topic about this. When I read the title of the article the first thing that came to my mind was a gay couple got both their DNA into their child (surrogate + two gay daddies), but I guess that is stretching it a bit. Firstly how this was done is extraordinary and the reason why it was done is many steps up from trying to catalogue your baby by selecting physical features you pr...
 (Total 135 words)
I remember a few months ago I posted about the approval of this technology in UK. Times flies and now we have the first product of this technology! I still have mixed opinions on this. While this may be a means of "genetic purification" as a way to downplay the incidence of disabling genetic illnesses, this form of technology may be highly susceptible to abuse, which makes me feel uneasy. For one, i'm certain that this technology is not yet perfected. What happens to the babies who...
 (Total 121 words)