General
Using your intuition: How does it weigh as a diagnostic tool?

Using your intuition: How does it weigh as a diagnostic tool?

Shared by:

How often do doctors make use of their intuition during their practice? In cases where they face complex patient problems and situations, intuition is known to support the effective and rapid medical performance of the practitioners.

today.mims.com

30 Sep 2016 - General

it is not a definitive source but it cannot be completely ignored because many great things have been accomplished by a simple "hunch". If you have an intuition about a certain case, you have to take it into account and you need to explore it further to make it more formidable and valid. It's like when mothers come in simply with an intuition that something is wrong with her child---you have to use what she gives you to find any truth to it. Diagnosing a case is the most critical p...
 (Total 131 words)
For me, I use my instinct when i can feel if someone is hiding something from me. Cause nahhhh. It works! I know i am always right. Kidding aside. But in terms of medical cases like for example, when my father is not feeling well, i don't relay in my instinct only. I wanted to make sure that everything is ok, so I checked his BP right away, hand him his needed medications and encourage him to rest. I am afraid if doctors will just solely relay in their intuition. As what Dc. ...
 (Total 127 words)
Humans are intuitive in nature. In fact, a lot of scientific discoveries were initially based on intuition. How do you think great physicists came up with their brilliant ideas? They used their intuition of course! But like these scientists, as healthcare professionals we cannot rely SOLELY on intuition. There's just no way of telling what's an intuitive and an idiosyncratic opinion that actually lacks scientific basis. The best way is to entertain an intuition and to look for ways to pr...
 (Total 162 words)
In this era of e-medicine and telemedicine, gut feelings or natural intuition is often used by many healthcare professionals as a diagnostic tool. I definitely agree that this factor definitely is affected by gender, age and expertise. Nowadays where telephonic or web consultations are done by doctors, they are forced to use their experience and their intuition for diagnosis. This is more followed by General practitioners and nurses. In dentistry, it is very difficult to do a diagnosis, based on...
 (Total 124 words)