General

Should we have access to medical records of presidential candidates?

Created by:

30 Sep 2016 - General

Today, we have lost one of the great leaders of our nation. She is a woman who is known for her brevity, intellect and controversial comments on political and social issues. In the last presidential elections, senator Miriam Santiago ran for presidency despite her failing health. She publicly announced that she was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2014. Despite her disease being in the advanced stage, she continued her political advocacies. When she ran for presidency, she just made a public announcement that she is trying an expensive experimental drug that can possibly cure her disease. She did not show her medical records. I'm making this post because I want to ask your opinion if you think political leaders (especially those running for presidency) should reveal their current state of health .Should they allow the public to access their medical records? Do you think that its justifiable?

Jennifer Winter Mark Edmon Tan I agree that those with unstable psychiatric conditions should be thoroughly evaluated for mental fitness. Although I think that leaves much room for debate because there is no perfect objective exam to qualify one as mentally fit. About the issue on malignancy, I think that also needs to be qualifi...
 (Total 124 words)
Yes Mark Edmon Tan unfortunately the usual Filipino does not appreciate frankness. Marinelle Castro: her lapses were so long and awkward that any layman could see that there was something wrong. I was thinking maybe she was on a certain treatment at the time hence the slowness. Her answers were still sharp and were overall good an...
 (Total 156 words)
Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan Yes, I agree with you. She has endeared international politicians with her Ilonggo-meets-Harvard accent and her incredible wit. I feel that the only reason why she did not get a seat for the presidency is because she speaks the truth all the time. Filipinos, in general, are not known for being frank and we always have that need to dampen the impact or sugarcoating criticism. We cannot ...
 (Total 115 words)
Marinelle Castro Thank you for tagging me along in this interesting topic. No, I don't think one person diagnosed with malignancy should not aim for public office. This is for the candidate's health benefit because a public official has to endure high levels of stress that a cancer patient should not be exposed to. Aside from malignancy, psychiatric issues are something that should be looked into. We cann...
 (Total 142 words)
Marinelle Castro Thank you for tagging me along in this interesting topic. No, I don't think one person diagnosed with malignancy should not aim for public office. This is for the candidate's health benefit because a public official has to endure high levels of stress that a cancer patient should not be exposed to. Aside from malignancy, psychiatric issues are something that should be looked into. We cann...
 (Total 142 words)
I also think that things would have been different by now if she won the presidential elections in her prime. Since we are on the topic, I think that lawmakers should learn from this incident and legally define what is a medically fit or unfit government leader. This is not to discriminate people who are ill. In any profession, it is important to determine who is best fitted for the job and a person's health should be considered. Do you think electoral candidates diagnosed with any form of m...
 (Total 141 words)
If only Miriam won back in 1992,, then maybe she'd have made quite a big difference in our country already. She truly was one of the best presidents we never had. It’s really sad that cancer had to take her sharp mind and fierce audacity away from us. Regarding the topic, I too, agree that those running for public service positions, especially the national posts, should be transparent regarding their health status and medical records. This is because there may be grave implications if someth...
 (Total 101 words)
Mark Edmon Tan I think the principle of double effect applies here. Since it will be more beneficial for the good of a lot of people, then it is morally justifiable. I’m just wondering if lawyers or lawmakers have a subject called “Legal Ethics”! Perhaps its a must for their curriculum. Jemelyn Mae Sodusta Can you imagine if the...
 (Total 125 words)
Thanks guys for your insights. I agree with everyone that we should be well informed about our presidential candidate’s health. Perhaps this could even be extended to everyone who is in the administrative and judiciary branches of the government. This is not to discriminate them if they have an illness, but we have to be well informed before we make a decision that can change our countries’ plight. ...
 (Total 109 words)
I think it is. When Miriam initially made noise about running for the 2016 elections, I had her in my mind as a candidate, but she fell ill. When she made the declaration of running if she God allows her to live through cancer, I thought oh sure. I remained hopeful until I saw her on the first debate and did not recognize her. That was when I crossed her off my list. Anyway, I think presidentiables should surrender their medical records or disclose any serious illness because 6 years is a long t...
 (Total 166 words)
I believe that the president's health (his or her health status) is important for everyone. This can be one of the factor to make us decide whether or not he or she is capable in the highest position in our country. The responsibility of being a president is not an easy job however, I also believe he/ she should have a right to medical privacy. But for this question my answer would be yes. They are running for the highest position in the land, we deserve to have a competent with sound mind P...
 (Total 113 words)
I feel bad that the Philippines lost one of the most brilliant minds. We have wasted the opportunity to let her run the country in her prime. As for the topic, every candidate owes it to the people to provide enough transparency as what Jennifer Winter has mentioned. On an ethical perspective, confidentiality can be breached if it concerns the welfare of the whole state. My answer is yes. The public should be awa...
 (Total 119 words)
My deepest condolences on the loss your country had to face. About the topic, well if we were to do that in my country I don't think it will make any difference whatsoever to the decision people make. I'm so much disappointed in the politics of my country. It's the people I feel angry the most against, because no matter what politicians do, there are always more than enough people to vote them to the parliament or presidency. There is a very little minority that think rationally befo...
 (Total 137 words)
It is sad that she passed away as I truly believe that she would've made a great president if only she wasn't ill. It was pretty obvious that she was frail as during the debates she wasn't as sharp and aggressive as we know Miriam to be. Seeing as she passed away just a few months in the start of the reign of the new President it makes you realize more that these candidates should not hide their illnesses. Imagine what would've happened if she did win? We would be holding a funer...
 (Total 137 words)