General

Should we have access to medical records of presidential candidates?

Created by:

30 Sep 2016 - General

Today, we have lost one of the great leaders of our nation. She is a woman who is known for her brevity, intellect and controversial comments on political and social issues. In the last presidential elections, senator Miriam Santiago ran for presidency despite her failing health. She publicly announced that she was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2014. Despite her disease being in the advanced stage, she continued her political advocacies. When she ran for presidency, she just made a public announcement that she is trying an expensive experimental drug that can possibly cure her disease. She did not show her medical records. I'm making this post because I want to ask your opinion if you think political leaders (especially those running for presidency) should reveal their current state of health .Should they allow the public to access their medical records? Do you think that its justifiable?

Jennifer Winter Mark Edmon Tan I agree that those with unstable psychiatric conditions should be thoroughly evaluated for menta...
 (Total 124 words)
Yes Mark Edmon Tan unfortunately the usual Filipino does not appreciate frankness. Marinelle Castro: her lapses were so long and...
 (Total 156 words)
Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan Yes, I agree with you. She has endeared international politicians with her Ilonggo-meets-Harvard accent and her incredible wit. I feel that the only reason why s...
 (Total 115 words)
Marinelle Castro Thank you for tagging me along in this interesting topic. No, I don't think one person diagnosed with malignancy should not aim for public office. This is for the candi...
 (Total 142 words)
Marinelle Castro Thank you for tagging me along in this interesting topic. No, I don't think one person diagnosed with malignancy should not aim for public office. This is for the candi...
 (Total 142 words)
I also think that things would have been different by now if she won the presidential elections in her prime. Since we are on the topic, I think that lawmakers should learn from this incident and legally define what is a medically fit or unfit govern...
 (Total 141 words)
If only Miriam won back in 1992,, then maybe she'd have made quite a big difference in our country already. She truly was one of the best presidents we never had. It’s really sad that cancer had to take her sharp mind and fierce audacity away fro...
 (Total 101 words)
Mark Edmon Tan I think the principle of double effect applies here. Since it will be more beneficial for the good of a lot of people, then it is morally justifiable. I’m just wondering if ...
 (Total 125 words)
Thanks guys for your insights. I agree with everyone that we should be well informed about our presidential candidate’s health. Perhaps this could even be extended to everyone who is in the administrative and judiciary branches of the government. Thi...
 (Total 109 words)
I think it is. When Miriam initially made noise about running for the 2016 elections, I had her in my mind as a candidate, but she fell ill. When she made the declaration of running if she God allows her to live through cancer, I thought oh sure. I r...
 (Total 166 words)
I believe that the president's health (his or her health status) is important for everyone. This can be one of the factor to make us decide whether or not he or she is capable in the highest position in our country. The responsibility of being a ...
 (Total 113 words)
I feel bad that the Philippines lost one of the most brilliant minds. We have wasted the opportunity to let her run the country in her prime. As for the topic, every candidate owes it to the people to provide enough transparency as what ...
 (Total 119 words)
My deepest condolences on the loss your country had to face. About the topic, well if we were to do that in my country I don't think it will make any difference whatsoever to the decision people make. I'm so much disappointed in the politics ...
 (Total 137 words)
It is sad that she passed away as I truly believe that she would've made a great president if only she wasn't ill. It was pretty obvious that she was frail as during the debates she wasn't as sharp and aggressive as we know Miriam to be. ...
 (Total 137 words)