General

Sleep,excercise and human growth hormone

Created by:

1 Oct 2016 - General

Does sleep make it easier to exercise or does exercise make it easier to sleep. Both. And human growth hormone is tied up in both. 
Human growth hormone (often abbreviated HGH, or GH for growth hormone, or hGH) is an important part of the body’s endocrine system and is especially active in the growing child’s maturation.  (It is not the only physiological factor that makes kids get taller.)  HGH is released by the brain into the bloodstream during sleep, and its release is part of the repair and restoration function of sleep. 
The hormone is a complex protein produced by the pituitary gland in the brain, and in addition to promoting growth in childhood, it helps maintain healthy bodily tissue even during adulthood.  The pituitary gland releases growth hormone non-continuously – the release looks like a pulse.  Sleep and exercise induce the release of the hormone.
In normal healthy people, the major period of HGH release is in the first period of Stage 3 sleep during the night.
If a person stays up all night when he or she normally sleeps, there is no surge in growth hormone release.  After a period of sleep deprivation, there is extra hormone released when sleep is resumed, and the pattern departs from the normal pulse during slow-wave sleep.
Scientists did an experiment where they hid people away from daylight and other environmental cues that act as circadian hooks.  The subjects were allowed to set their own sleep schedule which became disentrained from the 24-hr cycle.  This experiment has been done many times, but in this case the scientists measured the blood levels of growth hormone and followed when the pituitary gland released the hormone.  They found the peak levels of hormone released during sleep decreased significantly.  The first slow wave sleep (SWS) period of the night was shorter and the first REM period happened sooner.
The researchers concluded that the timing of sleep stages can change the amount of hormone released during sleep.
In middle age, the brain starts producing lower quantities of growth hormone.  This has spurred interest in use of supplemental hormones to keep the body young.  The effectiveness of this is not widely accepted by credible medical authorities, and is not approved by the FDA. (Supplemental HGH is approved for some pathologies, but not for general aging.)

Growth hormone is the chemical substance secreted by the anterior pituitary and regulated by the two tropic hormones secreted by the hypothalamus which are growth hormone releasing hormone and growth hormone inhibiting hormone. Usually after the stimulation by the GHRH, growth hormone is released by the anterior pituitary with a pulsatile manner. During the sleep cycle, if we divide the cycle into two phases, GH secretion is higher in the first phase than the second phase. With the exercise ther...
 (Total 105 words)
I agree with Theekshana Abayawickrama. I've found that exercising regularly helps to give me sounder sleep. Not necessarily earlier, because I workout after at the end of the day work. But I sleep better on days that I've hit the gym than otherwise. I heard that if you would like to sleep earlier, it's best to workout early in the morning because working out will keep you active, rather than tired. As ...
 (Total 100 words)
Habiba Twakkol Thank you for the very informative post. In general, moderate physical activities will enable one to be more alert during the day and help achieve optimal sleep at night. Like Theekshana Abayawickrama I have also experienced this firsthand. However, it is unfortunate that I have the worst type on insomnia and this ...
 (Total 114 words)
Having good sleep is like inviting your growth hormones to promote your growth, to help you have a healthy body tissue and to help you function soundly. Since i started working, I can't attain good sleep as mentioned in the topic since we are required to stay awake during our duty schedule (night time). And i would like to agree that having a good exercise makes it really easier to sleep. Because in my experience whether i'm from work or exercise, i always had a good sleep. I just woke u...
 (Total 126 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama
Thank you for sharing your experience, you mentioned a very important point to discuss , that when you have long sleep you feel lazy to go and do physical, I think that is true because sleeping more than eight hours per night has is bad effect in our body . oversleeping has been linked to a host of medical problems, including diabetes, heart disease, and increased risk of death.
<...
 (Total 150 words)
This is a very interesting article. Exercise helps you to have a good relaxing and uninterrupted sleep, I completely agree on that because from my personal experience i have felt that once after a workout, I can generally have a good sleep. But does sleep make it easier to exercise. Well I am not so sure. It must be true because there is clear scientific evidence to support that statement, but what I have experienced is when I have a good lengthy sleep I feel kind of lazy to go and do physical a...
 (Total 101 words)