General

Mom Fights Back After a Police Officer Allegedly Told Her It's Illegal to Breastfeed in Public

Created by:

2 Oct 2016 - General

A Georgia mom is speaking out after a police officer allegedly told her that she couldn't breastfeed public. She was breastfeeding her 1-month-old son at the Piggly Wiggly grocery store in Columbus, Georgia, when a sheriff’s deputy approached and said she “needed to cover up because someone might find it ‘offensive,’ ” and that if her nipple was exposed he would have to arrest her for indecent exposure.

If you were the mother, will you breastfed your kid in Public places? What is your views in this kind of situation? And in your country, do they allow breastfeeding in public? 

Source: https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/mom-fights-back-police-officer-185615299.html

Photo credit: google

I am not a mother, so this my take on it as a woman who is not a mother. I think that first and foremost, the child is the main priority here and if a child needs to feed, he should have access to milk (whether from the mother's breast or the bottle). I go around with a lot of mothers who bring out their breast in front of me, when the need arises, and I have nothing against it but I understand that some may be uncomfortable or offended by it (whether this someone is a man or a woman). If I ...
 (Total 216 words)
Jemelyn Mae Sodusta thank you for discussing this issue, my personal opinion about breastfeeding in public that it is not a behavior that mothers should be ashamed from or blamed for, babies needs are not timed or controlled by schedule,dose the police officer or any one can prevent him self from eating publicly?.
Do breastfeeding mothers have to lock themselves at homes?
Instead of punishing her, he sho...
 (Total 110 words)
Breastfeeding at public places is an issue that runs in controversy. Although it is legal in most of the countries, many women have to experience that 'nasty looks' from the crowd as if they are doing something wrong. Some countries like the United States have taken effective steps against this and the nursing mother can fight for her rights if necessary. In my country, breastfeeding the baby in public places is a common thing and people are usually tolerant to it. In fact, some men will...
 (Total 152 words)
That is true Mahmoud AbdelAziz . I totally agree with you. Here in my country, we don't view breastfeeding in public that bad at all. This is different to those who go topless in public. Like naaaah? I guess they should provide a place where mothers can feed their babies (if they don't want to see mothers performs breastfeeding). We understand that the child has his/her needs thus, the mother need to prov...
 (Total 90 words)
My home country is a Muslim majority country, and I have seen countless mothers breastfeed their babies in public with no problem. In Malaysia, I haven’t seen yet any. I am with breastfeeding for sure, anytime anywhere. However, we should take in consideration that there is a big difference between breastfeeding the baby and being topless publicly within some societies. In my home country, people are conservative for sure yet they just understand the significance of breastfeeding and never inter...
 (Total 167 words)