General

ARE YOU REALLY SUFFERING FROM A DISEASE OR IS IT ALL IN YOUR MIND?

Created by:

3 Oct 2016 - General

Frequently in my professional career, I have to face some patients that are healthy and don't have any symptom of any disease. Still, they undergo plenty of diagnostic tests for their mental satisfaction. One of my patient who had chronic habit of tobacco chewing feared suffered from a localized gum swelling and he feared that it might be cancer. Even after repetitive attempts to explain him the scenario, he wasn't satisfied and urged for repetitive tests and medicines. I have also experienced this with many of the geriatric patients. In the multi speciality hospital, the elderly came to the GPs and urged and forced them to give medicines. Many of my colleagues say that unless they don't prescribe any medicine, some people are not satisfied. Do you also face a similar situation in your practice? If yes, please share your experience.

This is a common scenario in my patients at the hospital clinics. And predominantly these complaints are noted in women or unemployed men. When the patient load is manageable then a good counselling really works well especially when you exactly explain that the problem they are suspecting is not possible due to so and so reasons. But when the rush at the out patient department is huge then it gets very difficult to counsel each and every one of such patients. Then this problem is also very commo...
 (Total 179 words)
Heena Pohani In psychiatry, there is a concept called, "somatization". This is the phenomenon wherein people who suffer from mental or psychological distress translate it to a bodily symptom, which makes them think that they need to consult a physician for it. Whenever I encounter a patient with normal findings and multiple symptom complaints, I always ask if the patient is going through a personal cri...
 (Total 135 words)
Yes of course, many times in fact. I've seen several patients I cannot give a definite answer to. They are convinced they have a problem and they try to describe to me what they're feeling but always when they visit me, the symptoms are not present. Clinically and in radiographs you find nothing wrong--so you look at the puzzle, truly puzzled and have nothing to say, that you haven't already said a minute ago or 30 minutes ago. Hehe. Of course, you cannot dismiss what these patients ...
 (Total 114 words)
Heena Pohani thank for discussing such a valuable issue, i see these kind of complains and attitudes in my family members, but one of them really experiences a suffering symptoms and with regular consultations with drs with different specialties, still didn't know the reason of his complain.
Sometimes it is psychiatric response due to hearing about a disease symptoms or maybe it is because the lack on med...
 (Total 122 words)
Hi Heena Pohani, interesting topic. I am not a GP and haven't got any personal experiences to share with prescribing medications just because the patient isn't satisfied. However, I have seen it happening. An example would be this: a patient would come in with common colds symptoms and ask for antibiotics, went out of the clinic with nothing but advised of Paracetamol, fluids and rest. In UK, GP surgeries...
 (Total 152 words)