General

Symptoms of poor blood circulation

Created by:

3 Oct 2016 - General

There are many different types of symptoms which can indicate poor circulation. Apart from the discomfort a person may feel each day, there are potentially more serious consequences, so it is important to look into this properly.

• Cold feet and toes - not just in winter time
  • Cold hands and fingers
  • Feeling numb in certain parts of the body especially the extremities
  • Feeling tired or having a lack of energy much of the time
  • Some hair loss can be because of bad blood flow
  • Having regular dizzy spells
  • If your skin gets dry even though you drink plenty of water
  • Swelling and water retention - especially in the feet
  • Lumps in blood vessels and varicose veins
  • Some headaches can be due to this
  • Cramps and pins and needles
  • Feeling short of breath at times
  • Blotches and blemishes in the skin
  • Poor blood flow to the brain may affect memory
Checking the peripheral circulation doesn't take more than a minute of your time during assessment of a patient. But this small thing that you do can decide the life of a patient. There are so many things that can go wrong in the body, but the body's compensatory mechanisms are so well developed that we will not see clinical signs until the very last stage. But distal circulation is something that gets compromised very early when a patient is deteriorating. The pulse becomes rapid and th...
 (Total 118 words)
It does not matter where you work. It can be a medical unit, a surgical unit, a paediatric unit, a gynaecology unit, an obstetric unit, an emergency treatment unit or an intensive care unit. You have to aware about the signs and symptoms of poor blood circulation in the human body. Essentially wherever you work, each and every doctor should know it because if it is not detected, the poor patient will suffer or go into death. Usually the peripheral pulses are not felt much. The skin gets pale. Co...
 (Total 119 words)
Habiba Twakkol One of the most common signs that's indicative of poor blood circulation is trophic changes in the skin. When I was a medical student, I noticed that most of the diabetics that I've seen have those hyperpigmented spots on their low extremities, usually on the ankle region. When I researched about it, those were actually signs of venous insufficiency. A lot of them would also complain of fre...
 (Total 107 words)
@Madhubabu kaaja there are many reasons of poor blood flow in the human body. They range from pump failure(Heart failure),reduced hydro static pressure to peripheral vessel blockade due to a thrombus for example. And the treatment therefore also depends on the exact cause of poor circulation. Like for instance in cases of severe acute gastroenteritis there is severe dehydration which causes poor blood flow to different parts of the body .In that case a good management protocols for I/V fluid r...
 (Total 188 words)
Madhubabu kaaja smoking is a sure fire reason for this.
Years and years of no exercise can lead to bad circulation. It doesn't happen overnight but usually creeps up on a person.
Eating too much junk food which usually leads to being overweight is also a prime reason.
Work related issues, such as sitting too long at a computer for years can cause these problems. Especially if you don't take r...
 (Total 327 words)
Assessment of peripheral circulation is much more important when you manage a patient with an impairment in the distal circulatory state. It does not have to be a direct circulation related problem. For example, working in a pediatric surgical the most important part of assessing the distal circulation is when you follow up patients who have had plaster of Paris casts for fractures. Not all of these signs are essential in assessment because a several key clinical features can be key to early de...
 (Total 117 words)