General
Having more than 8 fillings could increase mercury levels in your blood

Having more than 8 fillings could increase mercury levels in your blood

Shared by:

Bad news for those of us who have mouths full of old-school, metallic dental fillings: researchers have found that having more than eight fillings could contribute to higher mercury levels in our bloodstream.

www.sciencealert.com

4 Oct 2016 - General

I think fillings with ceramic and porcelain is a very good alternative as it does not contain mercury. Furthermore, the color looks more natural and well-blended with the rest of our teeth. A lot of times i see older people with mercury filled fillings while they talk or laugh and it does not look that good with black spots in your perfect set of teeth. It is good to know now that mercury can cause many forms of health issues that can be very harmful and deadly in the long run. dentist should ha...
 (Total 119 words)
The last time I filled a tooth with amalgam was in school. Since I took my oath and worked---henceforth in my practice, I have been using composite, ceramic and porcelain for fillings (direct and indirect). Still, the content of mercury in a filling is quite negligible I think, but I may be wrong. In my mind, many people have survived with multiple amalgam fillings through the years. An amalgam filling is a mixture of metals in powder form and we use mercury to hold the mixture together. We brin...
 (Total 172 words)
@ Theekshana Abayawickrama, @ Jemelyn Mae Sodusta : The news that you have shared is very informative. However, I would like to add that silver amalgam fillings having mercury have been replaced by composite or light cure fillings since a long time. The hazardous effects of mercury in amalgam restorations have raised a question about its safety since quite a few years back. There are various options for restorative material these days and silver fillings are hardly done as a treatment modality. ...
 (Total 134 words)
Oh. Another interesting topic. Dc. Theekshana Abayawickrama do you have any idea if implanted teeth is exempted with this mercury content or not? I often here that from my father that implantation is possible abroad. Dc. Maria Cristina Inserto have you read about this? Are you using the same product for the fillings? Its quite alarm...
 (Total 86 words)
Ok so now we cannot get a dental filling and live the rest of the day worry free. Scientists have found that metallic dental fillings can cause the blood levels of Mercury to rise by as much as 150%. According to the research, its people who have had 8 dental fillings that are susceptible to this problem. I have so far only had one fillings, so I hopefully have more yeas before I get my 8th tooth filled, but it is important that we are aware of this outcome. Mercury is a mineral that is require...
 (Total 131 words)