General
Thin but fat: Asians have higher risk of obesity-related conditions even with lower BMIs

Thin but fat: Asians have higher risk of obesity-related conditions even with lower BMIs

Shared by:

While the overweight or obese are often seen as at higher risk of developing serious health problems, with the BMI used as a guideline. However, it turns out the BMI may not be an appropriate gauge for Asians.

today.mims.com

4 Oct 2016 - General

That is a good indication for us to start exercising and making use of our spare time to stay in shape and stay within your ideal weight according to your height. Some of us are chubby but are not overweight due to our height and it becomes contradicting for some. Some even are slim but short, and are still overweight. It is just hard sometimes to deal with especially when you are 30 and you cannot grow any further upwards. It becomes frustrating for many and makes them feel discouraged. Therefo...
 (Total 103 words)
In the west, people always wonder why Asians are thin despite their daily consumption of rice. I have to admit that Asians usually look thinner than they actually are. In contrast, overweight in Caucasians is more prominent and easier to detect. Perhaps this is due to the fat distribution as well as bone density differences in both groups. Of course the height of an individual is determined by their bony skeleton which forms the core component of their body weight. Caucasians are believed to hav...
 (Total 152 words)
Waist circumference and waist to hip ratio have been proven to predict hypertension and impaired fasting blood sugar better than BMI. Although BMI has the advantage of being easier to measure and calculate, it does not distinguish excess bone mass, fat tissue and muscle. In fact, waist circumference strongly correlates on the percentage of body fat! Based on what I've gathered from a Nutrition seminar that I attended, for Asian standards, here are the following ideal Waist circumference: Mal...
 (Total 113 words)