General
Vitamin and mineral health supplements on the rise in Singapore: Too much of a good thing?

Vitamin and mineral health supplements on the rise in Singapore: Too much of a good thing?

Shared by:

The consumption of health supplements are unmistakably on the rise in Singapore, with the prevalent view of ‘the more the better’. But is this really advisable for patients?

today.mims.com

5 Oct 2016 - General

Supplements are well sold in Singapore. Knowing that people are busy with work and not having sufficient nutrients in their daily meals, it is known that people in their busy schedule take extra supplements to fill in the gaps of the missing nutrients. It varies in prices but it is hard to decide on which brand to choose from even all of them contain the same content of nutrients. But supplements are not always meant for replacing whole foods. It is just an additional thing to fill in the gaps. ...
 (Total 103 words)
The consensus among MIMS community members is to obtain vitamins and minerals through proper diet. This is true in most cases especially for vitamins. Consumption of citrus fruits will not only help in boosting vitamin C levels but also aid in bowel movement. However, healthcare professionals more often do not explain how to obtain vitamins from food sources properly. A good example would be consuming oranges. One must not remove the pith (white thread-like structures that cover the fruit) becau...
 (Total 132 words)
Yeah, A nice post indeed. I am agreed with the opinion that these supplements are not required for healthy people regularly. If I don't have any specific disease condition or nutritional deficiency, why should I take a medicine? Whatever the content is, these nutritional supplements are some kind of drugs and can never replace necessity of food intake. Natural foods give us a varity of nutrients and and dietary fibers which can't be fulfilled with supplements. And there is a chance of to...
 (Total 135 words)
I actually still believe that it is best to naturally obtain all the necessary vitamins and minerals with your diet, rather than to avoid all of it and rely on supplementation. The article did put focus on two conditions that deem it completely necessary and acceptable, those pregnant and those who are not receiving enough calories, and I agree with that. The rise in supplementation has been quite pronounced lately and I see it rising even more in the following years. I do not take supplements. ...
 (Total 112 words)
True, I agree with most of the comments that supplements are not for everyone, and are not always good for you. Anything in excess may be harmful, and taking all those vitamins and minerals in at one go is just unnatural. Nothing, not even topnotch supplements, can take the place of a balanced diet with the right proportions from the various food groups, especially whole, natural foods that are already abundant in nutrients that the body needs. If you think you regularly eat well, and are not di...
 (Total 166 words)
We are fortunate to live in an era wherein science is so advanced that we can readily investigate if what are prescribing is beneficial or not. In terms of vitamin and mineral supplementation, there are some evidence-based indications for nutritional supplementation. For example, patients who cannot meet their caloric requirement post-operatively would benefit from nutritional supplementation. This is usually seen in extensive gastrointestinal surgeries, wherein parenteral nutrition with nutriti...
 (Total 208 words)
I think this is not only the case in Singapore, but this trend is prevalent in many other countries also. The use of Vitamin water, added minerals to fruit juices is quite increasing in the present days. Life is too busy and everyone wants everything instant and quick. Who has the time to grab an apple and bite it or pluck the grapes and eat them or even remove the skin of the orange and eat it. The lifestyle of people follows a pattern of eating junk , processed food. So, naturally people need ...
 (Total 150 words)
Who has the correct dosages for supplements? Who can be trusted to recommend the correct dosages? There is much information and misinformation in the market. How many doctors are trained to recommend supplements? All doctors are trained to prescribe drugs, based on clinical trials funded by pharmaceutical industries. In the end, the good and bad of supplements are decided by intelligent patients who take them, doing their own clinical trails on themselves. What work for them, they will contin...
 (Total 130 words)
Alex Ngai Nowadays, everything from bottled water to orange juice seems to have souped-up levels of vitamins and minerals in it. That may sound like a way to help cover your nutritional bases, especially if your diet is less than stellar. But routinely getting an overload of vitamins and minerals can hurt you.

Too much vitamin C or zinc could cause nausea, diarrhea, and stomach cramps. Too much selenium ...
 (Total 125 words)
Too much of nutrition supplements can be bad for the health indeed. Humans have evolved through thousands of years, and they survived these so called 'nutritional deficiencies' without supplements. Generally, humans are supposed to fulfill their nutrition requirement from the diet. A balanced diet can supply all the essential nutrients for the normal growth and function of the body. It's our lifestyle that have led us to this new problem. What we should ideally do is, modify the diet...
 (Total 113 words)
Vitamins and the minerals are essentials to have in the daily diet because they are much needed in the metabolism inside the human body. Vitamin A is needed for a good vision and D is needed for calcium metabolism. Vitamin E enhances the immune system and K is needed for the gamma carboxylation of the clotting factors 2, 7, 9 and 10 thereby needed for blood coagulation. As you know, vitamin B is a complex vitamins and Vitamin C, biotin, choline and so many other vitamins do various different ess...
 (Total 120 words)
Actually, the effects of these phytochemicals are not proven to be significantly effective in improving the healthy lifespan. In fact, the effects of these supplements (or the phytochemicals from food intake) are most optimal when taken in moderation. I would think the use of these supplements should be recommended to individuals whose diet is not balanced, therefore the intake of certain phytochemicals falls short. Or someone currently suffering from certain deficiencies - thus taking respectiv...
 (Total 76 words)
Nutritional health supplements can never replace healthy diet including fruits and vegetables. It is better option to buy fresh fruit instead of supplements because fresh fruits are full of nutritional values that are required on daily basis. For example, if you add apple and pomegranate in your daily dietary routine there will be very few chances that you need iron supplements. Nutritional supplements are only advised in some pregnancy cases, chronic illness and if an individual is unable to ea...
 (Total 124 words)
One of the most important things when it comes to health supplements is that many people themselves do not know whether they consume enough of any particular nutrient per day. For example, I know many older people take calcium pills to guard against osteoporosis, but they do not take into account their normal daily intake of calcium. If they have a somewhat healthy daily diet, they would probably find that they are consuming close to the recommended daily intake of calcium, and taking too much c...
 (Total 120 words)