General
Medical missions and the culture of service

Medical missions and the culture of service

Shared by:

A medical mission is a community-based activity organized mostly by students or organizations. Its goals are to visit underserved communities or localities with limited access to health care and provide them with medical assistance. Its rewards for medical students may be limited, but the experience is always worth it.

today.mims.com

5 Oct 2016 - General

Medical missions are free outpatient consults given to the public in a nutshell. What do students get out of these missions? Here's a few of my opinion: 1.) The moral fiber of becoming a doctor - With just history taking and stethoscope, we can diagnose and heal patients. The bonus is that we are not asking for something in return. A student will experience the main reason for being a doctor - heal a patient. 2.) Giving back to the community - Our mentors sacrifice their clinic schedules jus...
 (Total 189 words)
I agree with this “It is like a Band-Aid solution to these wounds in the society. It’s definitely not sustainable, and does not really achieve the goals of reaching the best of health of the patients, especially since there’s no follow-up most of the time,”. The successes obtained in medical missions are hardly sustainable but it's become a dosage of help that is welcomed by those who have to means to get by. Of course, the best solution is for public health service afforded by the governmen...
 (Total 143 words)
While most people view medical missions as favorable, I don't think that it is helpful in the long run. Most of the diseases that are common in the community entail continuous follow up for a successful treatment. Among all the medical missions that I attended, the top 3 most common illnesses are: hypertension, upper respiratory tract infection and diabetes. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who attend medical missions just to get free medications. I share the same opinion as Anne Asis...
 (Total 189 words)