General
Made in China: Cancer patients resort to DIY drugs for treatment

Made in China: Cancer patients resort to DIY drugs for treatment

Shared by:

Cancer patients desperate for a cure take matters into their own hands by making their own drugs using active pharmaceutical ingredients from unapproved drugs bought online in China.

today.mims.com

7 Oct 2016 - General

The regulations in China is really a tough nut to crack. They are not only stringent, they are also constantly changing and very uncertain. One can never be completely sure how the regulations actually work. While I was living in China for studies, the people told me there are definitely ways to bypass the laws if you know the "right people". It's just sad to hear this piece of news. Hope China will one day make transparent their laws and regulations for better control and easier ...
 (Total 94 words)
Jemelyn Mae Sodusta Everyday, there are numerous people dying of cancer. As much as medicine can and does help cure cancer often, especially when it is detected early, the fact remains that cancer is still one of the most deadly diseases in the world. Add in the fact that it can often happen to anyone, even without risk factors, and that someone without symptoms can actually be at Stage 3 or 4 cancer, and it is e...
 (Total 154 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz I agree that sometimes we can't blame these patients because it is a desperate move to cling to life. Government tolerance is one of the reasons why this practice is gradually becoming a "culture" in itself. If there are strict laws on regulation of these chemicals and medical paraphernalias, there is no way that citizens can concoct these do-it-yourself medications for themselves...
 (Total 129 words)
It’s sad to think that people in our nearby countries are doing this since proper drugs are either very difficult to obtain (due to not being approved) or are too expensive. Though what these patients are doing is quite a risk, you cannot blame them for being desperate enough to do something--anything--that can help them or their loved one survive cancer. I also can relate to the part of the article where a doctor voices out that this issue can be very conflicting, especially on the part of a he...
 (Total 164 words)
It is breathtaking to read such articles; I wonder that it is happening in China like developed countries. Healthcare facilities must be a priority in every region of the world. Cancer patients are making their own treatment through APIs and other methods that are illegal and to great extent lethal. Cancer patients are desperate about their medical condition and they become doctor and chemist themselves. They get the active pharmaceutical ingredients and required equipment and instruments to for...
 (Total 135 words)
Five years’ period is definitely too long time and patients with critical conditions can not wait this long for sure! .I hope the China Food and Drug Administration find a better way to make the approval process take less time in the future. Of course patients and their families will seek every way possible to fight their illnesses. I can never blame them! . But making replicas for the medications is seriously dangerous and may cost them their lives. The prices of serious diseases’ medications w...
 (Total 111 words)
It is quite alarming reading this kind of article. Where people are making their own drugs to relieve them from whatever illness they may have. Thinking that it is not tested and proven, where it is safe to use. Gosh! Not a wise step to take. I don't understand on what they believe in, "The side effects of the APIs are much less of a problem compared to them taking no drugs at all. If they don’t take medicine, they are just waiting to die.” if they don't want to die, why don't t...
 (Total 139 words)