General

Muscle soreness after workout

Created by:

7 Oct 2016 - General

After participating in some kind of strenuous physical activity, particularly something new to your body, it is common to experience muscle soreness.
Exercise physiologists refer to the gradually increasing discomfort that occurs between 24 and 48 hours after activity as delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), and occurs when the muscle is performing an eccentric or a lengthening contraction. Examples of this would be running downhill or the lengthening portion of a bicep curl.
No one is immune to muscle soreness. Exercise neophytes and body builders alike experience delayed onset muscle soreness.
The big problem is with people that aren't very fit and go out and try these things; they get all excited to start a new class and the instructors don't tell them that they might get sore.
To them they might feel very sore, and because they aren't familiar with it, they might worry that they've hurt themselves. Then they won't want to do it again.
Letting them know it's OK to be sore may help them work through that first few days without being discouraged.

Theekshana Abayawickrama I thought the same but basically since DOMS comes with microtrauma to muscles which is source for the soreness inflammation is therefore involved. ...
 (Total 125 words)
Muscle soreness after workout can almost always be expected following a session in the gym. That's why I hate missing out on visits for more than a week because I know I will pay for it when I get back. When you workout regularly, you feel less a...
 (Total 156 words)
According to the American College of Sports Medicine, slow progression in adapting a new exercise regimen may help in reducing the severity of delayed onset muscle soreness. This gives ample time for the muscle to adapt to the new stresses that it wi...
 (Total 122 words)
As a fitness freak i believe that having muscle soreness during or after workouts are a normal routine in order to gain more mass turning fats into muscles. And also for you to be growing new muscles. what we need to know that there are good and bad ...
 (Total 88 words)
Exercise produces microtearing of muscles. Tissue repair then follows to synthesize and promote muscle growth. Repeated cycles of exercise and microtearing leads to muscle hypertrophy after 3 weeks of consistent physical activity. DOMS signifies exce...
 (Total 173 words)
Muscle soreness is a common condition after strenuous or unusual physical exercise. It is the cause that stops many people from physical exercise after the first day. Usually when some people with sedentary lifestyle or obesity try to do some exercis...
 (Total 122 words)
DOMS appears to be caused by trauma to your muscle fibers, but it’s not a definitive measure of muscle damage. In fact, a certain degree of soreness seems to be necessary. When muscles repair themselves, they get larger and stronger than before so th...
 (Total 126 words)
According to American College of Sports Medicine, DOMS is defined as soreness that develops 12-24 hours after exercise .This differentiates DOMS from acute muscle soreness which occurs right after the exercise.DOMS is said to peak between 24-72 hours...
 (Total 120 words)
Well, this is new to me.I used to believe that muscle soreness is due to acute inflammation of the muscle in order to repair injured and broken muscle fibers. When a person engages in strenuous activity, there is damage to muscle fibers to a certain ...
 (Total 101 words)