General
A doctor’s experience with pediatric deaths

A doctor’s experience with pediatric deaths

Shared by:

We are often times faced with death. I have seen many die and many of which I remember their passing in detail. Though my memories are filled with the losses of these patients, I remember all the pediatric deaths all too well.

today.mims.com

8 Oct 2016 - General

Thank you all for sharing your valuable thoughts on this topic. I also imagined one day that I might become a pediatrician but I found out that it is better not. I could handle neither taming their naughtiness nor watching them in pain. Unlike adults who may fall sick due to many reasons such as bad habits or senility after passing through their childhood and adolescence successfully, these kids and infants have done nothing yet. It was merely their destiny they are facing either a genetic probl...
 (Total 158 words)
I wanted to become Pediatrician. Upon entering medical school it was the field that I really wanted to get into. After witnessing pediatric death after pediatric death I said, "No, I cannot do this for the rest of my life." In our profession we have seen many die. There is that lingering pain as well with adults but losing a child is so different. Despite not having much contact with child and keeping that much needed personal distance their death is so heart wrenching. ...
 (Total 134 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz reading this article made me so sad and afraid of being in that situation, no one want to face death or even experience the feeling of losing someone even if this person is not a relative.
Pediatric death is more difficult to experience, a new born can't express his illness or his pain or complain and you are trying to communicate with him to understand and feel his complain is not an ea...
 (Total 108 words)
Not more. I had few experiences about child deaths at the hospital I work, which is the largest childrens hospital in the world namely Lady Ridgeway Hospital, Colombo. Once a neonate was admitted to the ward with billious vomiting, absent bowel opening and abdominal distension. We suspected of a bowel obstruction and an upper GI contrast study was done. The diagnosis was made as mid gut malrotation and exploratory laparotomy done with a theraputic purpose. Bowel derotation was done and the baby...
 (Total 131 words)
Handling a patient at the last moment and declaring death is a heartbreaking situation especially in paediatric patients. But we are doctor and we have no way to avoid these situations. Usually everyone become habituated gradually but the new doctors feel the stress a lot. You are right, our medical institutions teach us about treatment, not about death.
Another point about paediatric death is Suspended Death or Death Trance. Your career may be ruined if you are not careful when declaring...
 (Total 102 words)
Handling a patient at the last moment and declaring death is a heartbreaking situation especially in paediatric patients. But we are doctor and we have no way to avoid these situations. Usually everyone become habituated gradually but the new doctors feel the stress a lot. You are right, our medical institutions teach us about treatment, not about death.
Another point about paediatric death is Suspended Death or Death Trance. Your career may be ruined if you are not careful when declaring...
 (Total 102 words)
The most devastating experiences that I encountered are those with pediatric patients that's why each time I encounter a pediatric patient with a malignant brain tumor, I have the tendency to distance myself emotionally because I know it will not be good for me if I don't. I learned this lesson when I was in my junior year of subspecialty training. I has a 16 year old patient who presented with symptoms of hydrocephalus. On MRI, he has a large and malignant-looking tumor in his pineal gl...
 (Total 195 words)
I worked in an adult medical unit, before I came to the current workplace, a paediatric surgical ward. I have seen much more deaths of adults than I have of children. In fact there has only been 2 deaths in my ward for the last 4 months. But those 2 made a huge impact on me as a doctor. Both of them were neonates around 5-10 days old. Knowing that those tiny creatures are humans who will never ever know what it is like to be humans is really heartbreaking. It is equally difficult to see how the...
 (Total 104 words)
Mortality. The one word that you hope you never encounter during a tour of duty. It is one thing to witness a patient pass away. It is another thing to see a young one expire. I agree that it is the most memorable of all the experiences in a doctor's career. I remember seeing a pediatric patient pass away when I was still in clerkship. The recollection is still vivid up to this day for me. Performing CPR with the absolute desire to revive the little girl. The reaction of the parents when the...
 (Total 142 words)
It is absolutely heartbreaking to witness the moments of an innocent baby passing away. I would never wish anyone to be in that situation. Watching the relatives’ devastation and realizing that nothing in your hands you can do, is definitely one of the most stressful situations anyone may encounter in his/her career. These intense situations usually make unforgettable memory and remains vivid forever in the mind. Getting over this kind of experience is not easy but possible. It will surely help ...
 (Total 125 words)