General

Your regimen for aphthous ulcer

Created by:

8 Oct 2016 - General

Recently, I had a consult about aphthous ulcers. This patient is immunocompromised because she is on chemotherapy from a hematologic malignancy. Despite the common incidence of this condition, there is no proven cure in medical literature. Medical treatment is directed towards alleviating symptoms, accelerating the healing process and prevention of recurrence. Commonly prescribed regimens include anti-fungal oral gels, anti-bacterial mouthwash, and nystatin mouthwash. In more complicated cases, clinicians commonly prescribe systemic steroids, topical anesthetics and immunomodulatory agents. However, there are other complimentary forms of treatment that are also effective such as gargling with a warm saline solution, direct application of salt on the lesion and ice chips. Which of these regimens do you usually recommend and what is the success rate based on your clinical experience?

An irritating condition. I have personal experiences about aphthous ulcers. When I have one of them, I can not take any type of food or a liquid into my mouth because anything I get into my mouth, it irritates the ulcer and the pain is unbearable. Yes. Usually it happens at an immuno-compromised state and the ulcer usually exists about a week or more with a pain. It resolves with granuloma formation. Maintaining good oral hygiene would help you to prevent having them and once you suspect a pin p...
 (Total 118 words)
Aphthous ulcer is a common condition and in most of the cases exact cause is unknown. If there is no underlying cause, aphthous ulcer usually heal spontaneously within few days. I have left many patients without any drug , just advised them to maintain oral hygiene. They were cured within few days. But in many cases the pain is severe and patient can not wait without treatment. I prefer Amlexanox 5% gel , (which is an immunomodulator agent) along with an antiseptic mouthwash sometimes. In my opi...
 (Total 107 words)