General
One man’s health woes highlights scale of Malaysia’s obesity crisis

One man’s health woes highlights scale of Malaysia’s obesity crisis

Shared by:

More than 1.9 billion adults were overweight and over 600 million were obese in 2014. In Malaysia, a 250kg man in Sibu needed a 5-tonne lorry to move him to hospital.

today.mims.com

9 Oct 2016 - General

Overweight and obesity will be the new healthcare challenge for the coming years. The number of patients with overweight and obesity is steadily increasing over year, and shows no sign of slowing down. Increased in body mass index is a risk factors for multiple medical conditions, like type 2 diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular risk factors, increased in the risk of certain cancer, non alcoholic fatty liver disease, and etc. This will lead to increased medical burden for the society. There are a l...
 (Total 123 words)
I also agree with Mrs Jemelyn Mae Sodusta that encouraging people to do more physical activity is essential to decrease obesity rates. I have been wondering for long time why they prefer using cars more than cycling or walking even with the short distances. Some claimed that it is because of the very hot and humid weather. Others said that it is because of the lack of free time after work or study. But the most...
 (Total 129 words)
Yes indeed Dr. Marinelle Castro, Obesity is considered as malnutrition also because of the unhealthy diet habits and unbalanced diet. Food in South East Asia is mainly based on rice and its other products such as noodles. Since I moved to Malaysia, I have rarely seen any real salad served. Most food is of course made with palm or coconut oil which is very rich in saturated fatty acids and cholesterol while other ...
 (Total 127 words)
That is sad news Mr. Mahmoud AbdelAziz . Thinking that the lifestyle in your place is sedentary. I guess your government must provide a road for bicycle. To encourage the citizens in your place to exercise through bicycling. Here in our place, those who are bicycling has their own way provided by our government. I find it good because the government promotes healthy lifestyle through exercise. There is enough spa...
 (Total 94 words)
Few months ago, there was a report released by international organizations (UNICEF, WHO, and ASEAN), wherein they stated that middle-income countries like Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia are facing the problems on malnutrition. At first I thought this was due to lack of nutritional intake, but when I read through the article it was because of obesity. Apparently, according to epidemiologic studies in our country, there was a 400-fold increase in the number of overweight children be...
 (Total 152 words)

Sadly, Town planning in Malaysia is often focused on the car and more roads than pedestrian areas. People here prefer to drive than use their own two feet. Twenty years ago only 4.4 percent of Malaysians were considered obese. A decade later that had jumped to 14 percent. Malaysia has great variety of foods and the culture of eating is part and parcel of daily life. The type of served food is very high-calorie, and culturally more food is consumed than needed. Many traditional Malaysian di...
 (Total 137 words)