General
Mouth Ulcers in community pharmacy: What pharmacists need to know

Mouth Ulcers in community pharmacy: What pharmacists need to know

Shared by:

Mouth ulcer, or recurrent aphthous stomatitis (RAS), is one of the most commonly seen conditions in the community. These pesky little ulcers usually appear round or ovoid with circumscribed margins. Here are some facts pharmacists need to know to better counsel patients.

today.mims.com

10 Oct 2016 - General

I cringe when I remember the phase of having RAS that I went through during my teenage years and during stressful times in my career. Even eating my favorite foods became a burden due to the pain. My mom made me gargle with a solution of salt in lukewarm water. Though this eased the pain a bit, it still seemed like the mouth ulcers took so long to heal. I’ve never tried taking corticosteroids for this purpose though, but its good to know tat they can be helpful when the condition gets severe. ...
 (Total 135 words)
Vincent Goh thank you for sharing this article, here are some home remedies for relieving RAS:
Coconut milk is a good medicine for ulcers. Extract milk by grating fresh coconut. Now gargle with this coconut milk for about three to four times a day.
Coriander leaves boiled in water are one simple remedy for mouth ulcers. Let the water cool down and gargle lukewarm water for at least 3-4 times a day and not...
 (Total 135 words)
Mouth care is very important for all of us regardless of age and gender. It is crucial to wash the mouth after eating and brushing teeth before and after going to bed. Food remnants in the mouth are responsible for infections and further ulceration of oral cavity. Recurrent aphthous stomatitis (RAS) or mouth ulcers are very common and these are nettlesome round or ovoid erythematous haloes with yellow or grey floors. It has the highest percentage of people of Sabah and Sarawak. The most common t...
 (Total 106 words)