General
How should angry patients be handled?

How should angry patients be handled?

Shared by:

The consultation room has always been full of emotions,especially from patients. Here are a few tips on how you can handle angry patients or family members.

today.mims.com

10 Oct 2016 - General

This is a common scenario in adults hospitals. In childrens hospitals, usually parents get angry. First of all we should create a good rapport with them who get angry and facilitate them to express their issues with us. Perhaps they might have real issues and fair reasons to get bad tempered. Perhaps they might have got neglected by some other staff member. So it is better if we stand by their side and have a look of the matter on their angle of view. It will help to reduce their anxiety levels ...
 (Total 113 words)
All of the tips stated in the article is really helpful. I find patience is the most effective and needed in handling angry or irritated patients. Along with it, we healthcare providers should provide a warm smile and a happy vibe. Because when you start the day wearing it, the patient will eventually realized that it is less stressful and it is not heavy in their heart. Just like what i have experience. Patients who are irritable are usually the ones who experience severe pain or is really not ...
 (Total 131 words)
Patience and empathy is what I feel is needed the most. Patience for ourselves and empathy for the patient. From the side of the health care professional it is exceptionally difficult for us as well to be at the receiving end of the anger. Of course we understand that the patient is in pain, going through many emotions and the like but it doesn't change the fact that we still get shouted out and it will still rattle us up. I for one am extra patient and fortunately, despite being overly tire...
 (Total 144 words)
Dealing with an angry patient or family members can be very challenging for all the healthcare professionals, including the doctors and nurses. We should always maintain our professionalism when facing this scenario. We should spend enough time, to sit down with them in comfortable environment (ensure that you won’t be disturb during the conversation), and to try to explore their reasons of being angry. Showing our empathy will be crucial. We should try to find out the reasons, empathises their ...
 (Total 119 words)
Well this is not surprising for us nurse as we consider ourselves as the first line defense of the healthcare institution. We are the ones giving direct care to the patients, handling the situation face to face and go to interact with them too. Everyday of our lives we are exposed to these patients who are angry, those who have less patience, complains all the time and etc. We only don't deal with our patients but also with the doctors and also our colleagues. Whenever I get to encounter the...
 (Total 130 words)
I remember the days when i used to handle lots of angry patients especially in the ED due to the prolong waiting time they spent in the hospital. Many were shouting and throwing tantrums to leave ED even with an IV line with them. Many were stopped but what we usually do is try to talk things out and provide the care they needed as soon as possible. Not that they had to rely on throwing tantrums to get treatment but because not all our patients are patient. And most are very understanding when t...
 (Total 131 words)
Patients and their relatives often get emotional when certain aspects of care fail to reach their expectations. I have noticed that this is more likely to occur in patients who have terminal illness and increasing medical expenses (especially if its settled out-of-pocket). These issues adds to the burden to what the patient and his family is going through. The best way to deal with this is to be professional about it. Straightforwardly inquire the reason why they are upset or angry. This actuall...
 (Total 172 words)
There is a huge diversity of emotions of patients when they come to the hospital. The main causes of such emotions are the medical condition of patients and family environment at their home. For example, if the patient has a serious illness and everybody around him is depressed then patient will automatically have very low mood and if his family will satisfy him about his health he will have a positive attitude. It is the duty of all healthcare professionals to deal with each patient according t...
 (Total 133 words)