General
Call of Duty: New PH doctor performs emergency delivery

Call of Duty: New PH doctor performs emergency delivery

Shared by:

A young doctor in the Philippines performed an emergency delivery in the backseat of a car—two days after he got his medical license.

today.mims.com

10 Oct 2016 - General

Marinelle Castro Yeah there is no mention about the father of the baby, or about the current condition of the child. They only managed to take the child out and make him breathe. Not to disapprove the amazing work done by the doctors, but there is so much that can go wrong thereafter. According to the article the child has been cyanosed at birth so the APGAR must have been very low. Most probably the child went t...
 (Total 105 words)
Thanks for sharing the articles Theekshana Abayawickrama Its really amazing how babies were able to pull through after being placed in such a crisis. I also hope that they're neonatal outcomes are good and that they remain healthy. Although frankly speaking, it makes me sad to realize that they've lost their mothers too early and they will never be able to meet them. The articles did not mention much abou...
 (Total 112 words)
Marinelle Castro Found it, the article. :)
https://www.pressreader.com/sri-lanka/daily-mirror-sri-lanka/20160808/282591672330368

You are right. Many unborn babies lose their chance to live because of the death of their mother. But most of the times there is a chance to save the baby. It takes a several minutes after cessation of the placental circulation for a fetus to become hypoxic, and this is a g...
 (Total 102 words)
Wow! He's your clerk and intern Marinelle Castro, I'm sure you were quite proud. I've read this in the news on FB and I'm still quite amazed at how brave he was (and smart). It was like a scene from Grey's Anatomy, "He had to improvise the materials needed for the delivery with his clean and unused bath towel, wet tissue as makeshift gloves, and the mother’s metal hair clip to clamp the c...
 (Total 112 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama That's quite a story too. Its good that the doctor instinctively thought of the baby. Now I'm beginning to wonder the logistics of how many unborn babies who weren't given a chance to live because their mothers passed away! I can just imagine if the obstetrics team were called too late - - it would have been catastrophic and the patient's husband may have filed a lawsuit a...
 (Total 122 words)
wow!! What an experience!! You are really a brave and intelligent doctor. It is really a hard for a new doctor to take such bold decision in a situation where you have neither any equipment nor an assistant. I appreciate your bravery and skill. And yes, that's the call of duty. We are doctors and we can not ignore our patient whatever the situation is. Sometimes, our duty hampers our daily life. Often we may find it annoying to attend a patient leaving our personal works. But at the end, t...
 (Total 100 words)
Wow what a nice story to hear. It is more interesting that he happened to be the hero of the story just 2 days after he got himself the medical license. This reminds me of something that happened recently in Sri Lanka as well. A pregnant mother, near term passed away. I can't exactly remember the reason why the mother died, but she had had an cardiac arrest and died on admission to the hospital. The doctor at the admission room immediately realized that in a few minutes the fetus is also goi...
 (Total 155 words)