General

Dental Health- Beyond Oral Cavity

Created by:

11 Oct 2016 - General

Most of us believe that it is important to maintain good oral hygiene to prevent tooth decay, gingivitis or other dental problems However, there are few more factors that may motivate you to brush regularly and to take good care of your dental health.

1. Heart diseases - The bacteria in the mouth have been related to heart diseases. Many studies have been establishing the co-relation of periodontitis and heart diseases. By following proper oral hygiene protocol, one can prevent the risk of heart diseases to certain extent.

2. Alzheimer's disease -  Studies and researches have proved the relation between gum diseases and Alzheimer's disease. Thus, maintaining good oral hygiene can save you from dementia at a later age in your life.

3. Self-confidence - A healthy mouth with a beautiful smile boosts confidence. Many people who suffer from the burden of oral disease also suffer from low self-esteem at later stage.

Heena Pohani
The working relationship between diabetes and periodontitis may be the strongest of all the connections between the mouth and body. Inflammation that starts in the mouth seems to weaken the body’s ability to control blood sugar. People with diabetes have trouble processing sugar because of a lack of insulin, the hormone that converts sugar into energy.
Periodontal disease further complicates...
 (Total 116 words)
"@[TALAL HUSSAIN]" - It is very important to do such research programs to derive a quantitative and qualitative analysis of various factors affecting the disease. It's the same scenario in India. The burden of dental disease is quite high and the incidence of intake of gutkha, cigarette are seen in teenagers especially in rural areas. However, it is equally important to educate and motivate them to pursue dental treatment. "@[Marinelle Castro]" - Yes, definitely a large ...
 (Total 159 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto Its really sad that majority of our fellowmen cannot afford a dental check-up or at least dental prophylaxis. Regular toothbrushing, flossing and using a mouthwash are not enough to maintain dental health. The ergonomic design of a toothbrush is not yet perfected and there are areas that are difficult to reach. I for one have a difficulty brushing the palatal aspect of my second molars (upp...
 (Total 135 words)
Yes, most definitely. Although highly neglected, especially in my country, DENTAL HEALTH is a serious problem. A lot of people are quick to dismiss the need to see the dentist regularly. In the multispecialty clinic I work for, I see people for Pre-Employment Exams and Annual Physical Exam and it almost always depresses me when I ask them when their last visit to the dentist was and they answer to me, "It's been a while" or even more frustrating, they say "NEVER". People ...
 (Total 152 words)
Heena Pohani a very important topic indeed not only for the dentist but for other healthcare providers too. Although i am in the department of Internal Medicine and i have done MBBS , but when i was in my Medical school i realized that the awareness about dental hygiene and its association to many of the diseases prevalent in the society was very deficinet and for this very purpose in the 4th year of my medical ...
 (Total 151 words)