General
Are doctors capable of managing their own health?

Are doctors capable of managing their own health?

Shared by:

With the long working hours and high stress working environment that doctors’ face, it is not easy for them to manage their own health. In this article, we will explore ways that this can be done while still juggling the high demands of this occupation.

today.mims.com

11 Oct 2016 - General

Jennifer Winter No, doctors think they are immortals haha. We feel that our bodies have special physiologic processes than patients. News flash! We have the same bodies as theirs :)) Doctors are the most stubborn patients. We feel that we will never be sick. We think that we are always in tiptop shape but we have to remember that our work puts us in the most un-physiologic conditions most of the time. We need to ...
 (Total 223 words)
I would agree that doctors will be well able to manage their own health most of the time. With the hectic and long working hours, maintaining a healthy lifestyle with regular exercise is challenging, but is definitely achievable, with some good planning and discipline. Diet is always important in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. We should always opt for the healthier food like salads, and avoid the unhealthy fast foods. We should avoid all the junk food and sugary soft drink. Ensuring a regular ...
 (Total 123 words)
Being a medical doctor makes your life so busy to keep you away from your other needs. As a doctor you will take care of so many patients' health but not yours. You know each and every step of maintaining good physical health. But personally I know few doctors who ended up in their lives because of the non communicable diseases like ischaemic heart disease, stroke or heart failure. They are triggered by diabetes mellitus, high blood cholesterol levels and high blood pressure. Proper dietary ...
 (Total 108 words)
I think the main problems physicians have simply comes from the very stressful lifestyle that comes with the profession. Though I am not a doctor, I’ve seen my mom and some doctor friends deal with health problems that stem from a very busy schedule. Peptic ulcer, anemia, hypertension — all these can result from inadequate nutrition and chronic stress. I think the key here is time management, though that’s easier said than done when you’re in the health care profession, haha. The standing desk ...
 (Total 109 words)
Jennifer Winter I also thought that the article will discuss self-medication! I agree that our judgment can be very biased when it comes to our own health. Its like we have this concept that we are invincible and somehow immune to other diseases. When it comes to maintenance of healthy lifestyle, I think what were mentioned can be done by doctors who have already established themselves in practice. But for those...
 (Total 134 words)
"dragging your groggy body out of bed, or your burnt out self after a long shift to go exercise takes a lot of determination"- truth! I would run but we shall see if I can maintain that determination. From the title of the article I thought I would read on about us doctor's doctoring ourselves. Like if we have sore throat we know if we need to treat it with antibiotics or not and then we write out our own prescription. For general practice problems I would doctor myself but when it...
 (Total 158 words)